Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flor

Nightshades And Oxalates

Hi all,

I WAS gluten-free and DF since fall 2007 but then after initial dramatic improvement, the symptoms all came back (diarrhea, gas, pain, etc etc).

I'm getting my first colonoscopy/endoscopy done on Oct 10, after several weeks now of being back on gluten (I'd gone gluten-free without a definitive diagnosis).

My guts feel about the same back on the gluten, though my mental health has been noticeably worse.

I have noticed while experimenting over the last year with other foods, that soy and nightshades do make me sick.

I read reference on these boards to oxalates potentially causing problems and so I googled to find out more and the list of high oxalate foods is what I've been ingesting in huge amounts every single day -- carrots, nuts, seeds, chocolate (soy-lecithin-free), black tea. I'm wondering if this is the problem?!?

Can anyone direct me to a source about what the issue is with oxalates? I understand for people with a particular kind of kidney stones, it's a mainstream treatment. But I haven't found any reference for why people with gut problems might try it.

Thanks!

HA

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT PATTI WOULD BEAT ME TOO IT

SHE FOUND THE LINK..........OUR MASTER SLUTH.

THANKS PATTI

JUDY

Hi you all, thanks so much for the replies.

Seems like this nightshade and oxalate issue might be HUGE for everyone on this site. I've been doing some more reading in the medical journals and the studies of enteric hyperoxaluria and these studies seem to always include people with celiac, crohns, IBS, IBD, and ulcerative colitis diagnoses.

If the gut is damaged by gluten intolerance, then it seems very likely that nightshades and oxalates may be preventing healing (and it seems the nightshades are a subset of the oxalates, though I gather there's additional toxins in the nightshades).

It was very natural for me to turn to nuts and corn and dark chocolate when I had to cut out other foods (dairy, wheat, soy) -- and I've always eaten a TON of dark grapes and raw carrots and beans. Seems like maybe other folks who are newly celiac might also be turning to the WRONG foods when they go gluten free, huh?

I meant to mention too that my RA levels are elevated and that the joint pain started for me exactly at the same time as all the GI symptoms (as well as the anxiety/depression symptoms...which I largely had under control by eliminating gluten). This stuff, of course, is all connected.