Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hollyres

Dermatitis Herpetiformis On Face

I need help...I have developed dermatitis herpetiformis (I think) on my face - around my mouth and nose. I have NEVER had it before, nor do I have it any where else. It seems to only develop when I am around gluten - especially steam from the sink when I am cleaning glutenized dishes. Does anyone else have this weird thing? It seems to get worse every time I have an exposure.

Do new symptoms typically just show up after being gluten free? Is there any OTC meds that help? I am afraid it will spread. It is red, bubbly, then it gets real dry. Yuck!!!!

Leaning over steam while washing dishes that used to have gluten on them is not going to cause DH or a gluten reaction. I can't imagine there's even any gluten in the steam. My bet is it's something other than DH.

richard

I have that, too. And it all started after I went gluten-free, and then was getting glutened 2-3 days in a row. I got a HORRIBLE rash on my face that itched like crazy. Eventually a rash developed on my arm and back of my neck. I still get spots in those places, too. The ones on my face drive me crazy the most. They get all red and are very noticeable and they last forever. It hasn't been confirmed as DH yet, but the dermotologist is pretty sure it it, just not in a normal presentation.

And sweating (or leaning into steam) made the spots feel worse, but it didn't make them worse. But they did feel a lot worse if I got too hot.

ptkds