Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ravenwoodglass

Primary Adenal Insufficiency And Celiac

I came across this article and found it interesting. I have been wondering about the condition of my adrenal system for awhile and have noticed that others have issues with that too. Stress from being sick for years is apparently perhaps not the only cause.

I tried to provide a link but that didn't work so I pasted the article. It comes from Medscape.

Primary Adrenal Insufficiency Common in Celiac Disease

By David Douglas

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Oct 17 - Patients with celiac disease are at increased risk of Addison's disease, and the converse also appears to be true, according to Swedish and US researchers.

"We therefore suggest screening for celiac disease in individuals with Addison's disease," lead investigator Dr. Peter Elfstrom told Reuters Health. "We also recommend clinicians treating individuals with celiac disease to have an increased awareness of Addison's disease; however, the low incidence of Addison's disease overall does not merit screening all individuals with celiac disease."

In the September issue of The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Dr. Elfstrom of Orebro University Hospital and colleagues note that a number of studies have suggested a relationship between these conditions, but they were small in size and screened for celiac disease in patients with Addison's disease.

To investigate further, the researchers used Swedish national data to identify 14,366 people with celiac disease and compared them with 70,095 matched reference subjects.

The team found a significant relationship between celiac disease and subsequent Addison's disease (hazard ratio, 11.4). This was seen in both adults and children and held good after adjustment for diabetes mellitus and socioeconomic status.

The team also found that people with prior Addison's disease were at increased risk of celiac disease (odds ratio, 8.6). Given these findings, the investigators recommend that certain patients with one condition be screened for the other.

"The positive association between celiac disease and Addison's disease was seen both before and after diagnosis of celiac disease," the researchers conclude, "and we do not believe that one disease causes the other. Instead we suggest that our findings might be explained by the presence of shared genetic traits."

J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007;92:3595-3598.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

:(

Site requiring me to register.

Hmmm . .. . .. .so maybe I should!!

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

:(

Site requiring me to register.

Hmmm . .. . .. .so maybe I should!!

Yea I discovered that also. I went back and pasted the article as it was a shorty.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thanks for posting this. Its very interesting. I have Adrenal Insufficiency and my Dr has tested me for Addisons Disease Antibodies. My test was normal but the lab had a disclaimer on it which made me think that this blood test is not 100% reliable. Then this week someone has posted on an Addisons Board that she has autoimmune Addisons but her antibodies wax and wane - sometimes to zero. I will make certain my Dr keeps retesting me for autoimmune Addisons Disease ( primary) in future.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

This is PubMed and you don't need to register to view articles.

Risk of primary adrenal insufficiency in patients with celiac disease.

Elfstr

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Wow, that is a very interesting article! Thanks for posting.

I have adrenal insufficiency, and have been taking over the counter adrenal support pills for almost 3 months now. I think this is something I've had for well over a year, but I just didn't know it, or know what to ask my doc to test me for. I actually figured it out myself, and requested blood work for it! I don't think my doc did an antibody test, I'll have to ask about that next time.

Katie

Gluten free since July 2005

Lactose Free since 1994

Soy free since May 2007

Dairy free since September 2007

Hypothyroid & Hashimoto