Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ArtGirl

Baking Mix - Without Potato, Corn Or Tapioca?

Now that I am not eating potato - there goes the potato starch that's in about every baking mix recipe and product. I have other limitations, too, as I cannot use cornstarch or tapioca.

Has anyone been successful in making baked goods with just rice flours and perhaps sweet rice flour, without the other starches?

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, I was thinking arrowroot starch, and I am really in love with sorghum flour right now.

Ok, in my Carol Fenster book, she says for cornstarch you can substitute an equal amount of:

potato starch

arrowroot starch

amaranth starch

For potato starch, subtitute an equal amount of:

arrowroot

cornstarch

lotus root starch

amaranth starch

She says that the benefit to tapioca flour is that it helps browning and makes a crispier crust.

Hope that helps!

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

Thank you. This is a help.

I didn't even know there was an amaranth starch. I may have to look for it.

I do use arrowroot - it imparts an almost sweet, citrus flavor - which is sort of odd in bread or biscuits, but I do use it in muffins and other sweet breads.

Lotus root starch??? Another one I've never heard of. Wonder where one finds it.

Valda

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

Join eNewsletter

I did a Google search for both lotus root starch and amaranth starch - didn't find a retail source for either of them. Bummer!

Valda

Hypoglycemic

Join eNewsletter

Amaranth starch can be found at: http://www.nuworldfoods.com/cart/products.asp?grouping_id=4

Purchase carefully- amaranth flour and amaranth starch are not the same thing.

Lotus root is used in Asian cooking, so I bet you'd be able to find lotus root starch in an Asian market.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for the link, Sarah.

I took a quick look at the site - there's other things there, too, that I might want to try. Maybe the Amaranth-Os, breakfast cereal and some snack crackers.

Valda

Hypoglycemic

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter