Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guhlia

Apple Butter Pie

This is absolutely amazing guys! I used Kinnikinnick's graham cracker crumb mix and followed the recipe on the bag for the crust. The recipe is modified to be gluten free from the "Apple Butter Pie" recipe on allrecipes.com. You may want to reduce the sugar a tad if you don't like your pies super sweet.

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup apple butter

* 1 egg, lightly beaten

* 1/2 cup sugar

* 1 tablespoon finely ground white rice flour

* 2 cups evaporated milk

* Ground cinnamon

* 1 (9 inch) unbaked graham cracker shell

DIRECTIONS

In a bowl, combine apple butter, egg, sugar, rice flour and milk; mix well. Pour into the pie shell; sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F; bake 35 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm from Australia. What is apple butter ?

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Join eNewsletter

It's not literally "butter, it's basically super concentrated applesauce, you slow cook apples for a really long time until they turn a dark color and the result is sort of a spread (not geled like jelly or jam, and not as thick/dense as butter, but spreadable)

Join eNewsletter

It's not literally "butter, it's basically super concentrated applesauce, you slow cook apples for a really long time until they turn a dark color and the result is sort of a spread (not geled like jelly or jam, and not as thick/dense as butter, but spreadable)

Thanks ! We have that here - I think just called apple puree or apple sauce but I know the jar. I will check to see if its got Gluten on the label.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Join eNewsletter

Thanks ! We have that here - I think just called apple puree or apple sauce but I know the jar. I will check to see if its got Gluten on the label.

Our applesauce here is not the same thing as apple butter, it's much lighter in color and not as sweet and a totally different texture, usually in a much smaller jar, like a jelly or jam jar. I think the key to identifying it is the very dark color.

Best of luck finding it!

Join eNewsletter

Yes, apple butter is very dark brown and super sweet. Its actually very tasty on toast. It has the consistency of stage 2 baby food fruits.

~Angie~

Join eNewsletter

Yes, apple butter is very dark brown and super sweet. Its actually very tasty on toast. It has the consistency of stage 2 baby food fruits.

Baby food, that is the texture I couldn't think of!

It's so good, I used to have peanut butter and apple butter sandwiches when I was growing up. Yummy!

Join eNewsletter

If you grew up in Pennsylvania, you eat your apple butter with cottage cheese! Looks like dog barf, but it's one of those sweet/salty combinations that really works.

Ewwww.... I was born and raised in PA and never once have I tried cottage cheese w/ apple butter. I vaguely recall someone eating it that way, maybe in college or something. :) lol I guess maybe I'm just a weird pennsylvanian.

~Angie~

Join eNewsletter

If you grew up in Pennsylvania, you eat your apple butter with cottage cheese! Looks like dog barf, but it's one of those sweet/salty combinations that really works.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!! Our dog's barf was always MUCH more interesting-looking than that!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

Ewwww.... I was born and raised in PA and never once have I tried cottage cheese w/ apple butter. I vaguely recall someone eating it that way, maybe in college or something. :) lol I guess maybe I'm just a weird pennsylvanian.

I'm no where near Pennsylvania and we had a snack that was similar, cottage cheese and applesauce. It really is quite good! The apple butter is probably just a sweeter version.

Join eNewsletter

It is apples cooked until they are thicker then applesauce. The true way to make it is to cook whole apples in a pot with a tiny bit of water then to run them through a mill, return to the pot and cook on very low or in a slow cooker until very thick. Stir often. BUT you have to add a few things to get the brown color and the right taste you have to add vinegar, cinnamon, cloves (ground cloves add alot of color), allspice, lemon juice and sugar.

~Barb

Gluten Free October 18, 2007

YIPPEE for Gluten free

Join eNewsletter

hm, what kind of apples would you use to make apple butter? thinking about cooking up a batch.

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter