This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Attention Holiday Shoppers!

blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

So this morning, John and I went out to use some of our gift cards we got for the wedding. We were buying curtains (boy was that fun) and other things for the house. So, while in Target I decided to buy a movie, Borat. My sister has been raving about how funny this movie is.

We get home, and I make some lunch and we are getting ready to watch the movie. Well the movie was in one of those fancy cardboard sleeves. So when I get to the real DVD case, I opened up the case (which is wrapped in plastic) out falls the DVD, already scratched. It looked like a homemade disc. The title was written with a Sharpie. We put it into the DVD player and you could tell it was not the real thing.

I called Target who told me to bring it back. Sure enough, when I got it back to the store, the clerk told me it was a bootleg copy. She could tell by looking at the title card that slips into the DVD case. It was not even in English. Since it had been in plastic, I couldnt even see that. Someone in line, told me that the disc does look similar to the one I have, very plain and such.

The clerk pointed out that there was even a fake UPC code the case. It was nuts. I left with a gift card, that had been their last copy of the movie.

So with the upcoming holidays, I am just giving out a warning to people who may be buying DVD's as gifts. If it looks a little off it may not be the right thing, so keep those sales slips. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confusedks Enthusiast

Amanda,

Oh my goodness!!! That is ridiculous! Thanks for the warning.

Kassandra

Nyxie63 Apprentice

Well that sucks! Good thing it wasn't bought as a gift.

Thanks for the heads up!

Guhlia Rising Star

Wow, that really sucks Amanda. Its a good thing they gave you your money back. And... On the topic of Borat... You're not missing much. If you want to borrow it, you can. We watched it once and really didn't find it funny at all. We much prefer Sascha on Da Ali G Show. He's much funnier on that. We have season 1 of that on DVD too if you want to borrow it.

Wow, that really sucks Amanda. Its a good thing they gave you your money back. And... On the topic of Borat... You're not missing much. If you want to borrow it, you can. We watched it once and really didn't find it funny at all. We much prefer Sascha on Da Ali G Show. He's much funnier on that. We have season 1 of that on DVD too if you want to borrow it.

Thanks Angie :)

Guhlia Rising Star

If I ever have healthy children again we can go to CIP and I'll bring them for you. Tori's been sick for weeks and weeks though. I think her immune system is really down from the gluten challenge. I know she just started preschool and all, but this is ridiculous. My mom taught preschool and I don't ever remember her kids getting sick like this.

Don't feel bad, married life has not gotten off to a well start either. We left for Rochester last week, John was feeling tired, he has come down with full blown pneumonia and has not been back to work yet....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

Woah, I assumed that kind of stuff only happens on the black market :) Borat is a really easy DVD to fake because it's meant to look like someone just burnt it and wrote the title with a Sharpie. I thought the movie was funny, but I'm not sure I'd want to watch it more than once or twice.

Guhlia Rising Star
Don't feel bad, married life has not gotten off to a well start either. We left for Rochester last week, John was feeling tired, he has come down with full blown pneumonia and has not been back to work yet....

Oh no!!! That's horrible!!! I hope he's feeling better soon. So was he sick for your whole honeymoon?

Tori's actually really sick right now. Not only does she have a horrible cough, but tonight she threw up. We have no idea why, possibly from gluten (though she didn't have any gluten today). More likely she threw up because of mucous in her belly, but its hard to say. She's been sick ever since she started preschool (and went on gluten). Her immune system just doesn't seem to be functioning properly. It sucks. I hope she gets better soon. We're going to try to do the Enterolab test this week. Hopefully we'll get accurate results. She's been gluten light for 2 months now. I really, really hope we get some answers. If the tests come back negative, we will try again in 6 months. If those come back negative, we'll take her off gluten again and see if her symptoms resolve themselves. I don't know what else to do.

Ugh... I'm rambling... Hope you have a good night. Tell John I hope he's feeling better soon.

confused Community Regular

That is terrible that someone did that, but nothing surprises me anymore, that is one reason i refuse to shop on ebay during the holidays. Borat is an ok movie, best to just rent it and take it back the next day tho lol.

Guhlia,

I know what you mean about the sickies. My preschooler has been dry gbagging for 2 days now and had me up all last night. Im debating on sending her to school, today would be the only day she goes this week, so its like do i keep her home and get her a little better or send her to preschool and come home with more germs. It is so hard having an pre-k, k, and 1st and 9th grader, they catch everything, I have been sick for hte last month with one of their germs and it is driving me nuts.

Blue, sorry about hubby, hope he gets better soon.

paula

Good news! John went back to work today. He is doing a bit better, still has the Wheeze and occasional cough but I hear that will stick around a bit.

Still got snow on the ground :)

confused Community Regular

you got snow, im so jealous, i dont think we will ever get snow here in colorado lol.

paula

Guhlia Rising Star

Glad to hear that John is feeling better. Being sick around the holidays is always really hard, even if it is just Thanksgiving.

Paula, we were struggling with whether or not to send Tori to school today too. I ended up sending her because she threw a top notch temper tantrum when I told her I thought she should stay home. She LOVES school and I hate to keep her from it if she wants to go.

Angie,

It's good to hear she is happy to go to school. Sounds like she really likes it. It is snowing again. John told me he is still having some breathing issues. He is on Prednisone right now and that is a tapering dose. It is supposed to clear things up fast since it is a steriod.

I can't believe it is Thanksgiving week already. We leave for my moms on Weds.

Archived