This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help

confused

confused Community Regular

I am in desperate need for recipes for thanksgbiving that are gluten, casein and soy free, and free of onions and garlic. I just found i will be hosting the dinner and since im cooking i need it to be safe for me. I need main foods and hopefully something for dessert. Hopefully all the ingredients are main stream ingredients, since i dont have any place to shop here for out of the ordinarry food.

thanks

paula

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jmengert Enthusiast

My entire dinner will be gluten-free/DF/SF, and I am having turkey, cornbread stuffing (the gluten-free Pantry recipe on the back of their cornbread box, but I'm leaving out the sausage), green beans or honey glazed carrots, cranberry sauce (from a can! I love that stuff!), mashed potatoes (made with rice milk and sf/df butter--Smart Squeeze), and vanilla pumpkin pie for dessert--I just substitute rice milk for the evaporated/condensed milk (a little less of the rice milk since it's thinner), and it's fine. Stuffing may be hard to do w/o onions, but I'm sure you could substitute sage, poultry seasoning, celery and whatever other seasoning you like in place of the onion.

I've also made an apple rice stuffing in the past, and that works well, too. I get a lot of my recipes from allrecipes.com and just make my needed substitutions.

I find Thanksgiving very easy to convert, and it basically is the same stuff, just with minor substitutions. I hope you are able to make stuff that works for you!

EBsMom Apprentice

We're having a gluten-free/cf/sf meal. Turkey, gravy made with turkey drippings and cornstarch, mashed potatoes made with chicken broth and rice milk, green beans cooked with brown sugar and bacon, dressing made with gluten-free bread (you could just leave out the onions....use onion powder for flavor, and use celery, sage, poultry seasoning, chicken broth), roasted carrots and parsnips, canned cranberry sauce (my kids insist on it - sigh!), pumpkin pie (using rice milk) and chocolate pie.

The only specialty item I'm using is Gluten Free Pantry's pie crust mix....everything else came from the mainstream grocery store.

I don't really use a recipe for any of these dishes, except for the chocolate pie (found the recipe online....my dd really wanted something chocolate.) If you want to make any of these things, let me know. I could approximate a recipe, probably (I'm one of those "pinch of this, dash of that" cooks.)

Rhonda

Mango04 Enthusiast

I don't really use recipes or much mainstream stuff, but my substitutes for casein include coconut oil, olive oil, Spectrum sortening, rice milk and hemp milk. There isn't a lot of soy in homemade thanskgiving food, so that part is easy.

If you want an easy desert, try Open Original Shared Link. It's really good.

lonewolf Collaborator

Here are a few that I posted on another thread. They are also egg-free.

No Bake Pumpkin Pie Filling (no eggs, dairy or soy)(Double Recipe)

2-1/2 C Rice Milk

1-1/3 C Maple Syrup

1 tsp vanilla

3 envelopes unflavored Knox gelatin or equivalent

2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp salt

1-29 oz can pumpkin

1 prebaked pie crust

Sprinkle gelatin (or whatever you use) over rice milk in saucepan. Let stand 1-2 minutes to soften. Stir over low heat until gelatin dissolves - about 2 minutes. Add maple syrup, spices and vanilla and stir over med. low heat for 3-5 minutes. Blend in pumpkin and continue to stir for 1-2 minutes. Cool until starting to thicken slightly. (It should be pretty cool.) Pour into pie shell. Chill at least 3 hours. Makes 2 pies.

Gluten Free Pie Crust (makes one crust for 9" pie)

1 C gluten-free flour mix - whatever you like to use, I don't like bean flour in this recipe

1/2 tsp (rounded) Xanthan gum (if it's not in your flour mix)

1/2 tsp Ener-G egg replacer (can omit if you don't have)

1/4 tsp Salt (omit if using salted butter or margarine)

1/2 C Margarine, Spectrum Naturals Shortening or Butter

1/2 tsp. vinegar

1/4 C Ice water

Sift dry ingredients together 3 times. Cut margarine, shortening or butter in with a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in cold water until dough forms ball. Add water or flour if needed to make dough the right texture. You don't want it too dry! Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes. Roll out on board dusted with rice flour or tapioca starch. Use as you would any other pie crust.

Pumpkin Dream Pie (no eggs, dairy or soy)

3/4 C canned pumpkin

1/4 C maple syrup

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ginger

dash of cloves

dash of nutmeg

1 Quart vanilla Rice Dream or Rice Cream, softened

1/2 C chopped pecans, optional

9" Graham Cracker type crust - excellent made with Pamela's Ginger Cookies

Mix pumpkin, maple syrup and spices. Mix into Rice Dream/Cream until well-blended. Scrape into crust, freeze for at least 2 hours before serving. Sprinkle on pecans if desired.

Cranberry Sauce

1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries

1 cup honey

1/4 cup water

1 Satsuma orange, finely chopped

Place cranberries, honey and water into 2-quart saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until most of the cranberries have "popped" open.

Remove from heat; stir in oranges. Cool to room temperature first, before refrigerating to set.

Makes about 2-1/2 cups.

Simple Yams

4 Large yams

maple syrup, to taste

cinnamon, to taste

salt, to taste

butter, if desired (or can substitute a drizzle of safflower oil and salt)

Boil yams in skins until tender, allow to cool. Peel skins off. Cut into 1/2" slices. Place in casserole dish. Sprinkle with a dash of salt, drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon. Put a few pats of butter on top if desired. Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes.

Serves 10-12

Juliebove Rising Star

I've never made a turkey from scratch, so I can't help you with that.

I'm pretty sure most if not all of the broth you buy would have onions and maybe garlic in it.

You can mash potatoes with rice milk, but they haven't got much flavor to them. Can you get Smart Beat liquid where you are at? It's a dairy free butter flavored thing. Made by Smart Balance. I am eating mashed potatoes with it in there as I type. Very good. If you can't get that, you might consider doing roastefd potatoes. You can roast them in olive oil and add some Italian seasoning (make sure it has no garlic) or other herbs.

Or you could make roasted sweet potatoes, if your familly likes them. Mine doesn't.

You could do baked apple slices for a simple side dish or dessert.

confused Community Regular

Thanks for all your ideas. I asked my mom to bring the stuffing and i just wont eat any, i have never cared for stuffing anyway so its all good. I figure ill buy an organic turkey, cranberry suace, mashed pototoes, everyone else can add butter if they want, an apple crisp, veggbie tray.

paula

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gheidie Newbie

For my potatoes.. I cook them in chicken broth and then when I mash them.. I drain some of the stock.. but mash them with the stock. (I also add garlic, but I see you can't use garlic) but maybe some other spices... leave them a bit chunky when mashing mmmmm

Archived