Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joni63

Tortilla Flakes

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Joni.

I think they'd be great on a casserole. I tried them to replace bread crumbs and as a coating, but that didn't exactly work. As a topping though, I think that would work out good.

Good luck!

Kelly

Kelly

Hubby diagnosed 4/06 by scope/biopsy.

Join eNewsletter

Hello,

broncobux, I bought funyons to replace Durkee French Fried Onion Rings in a green bean casserole. Thanks for that tip!

Kelly, I almost bought them for a chicken/rice/broccoli casserole I made, but mixed corn flake crumbs, corn meal, butter and poultry seasoning with butter instead. It was pretty good.

They sound good, let me know if you use them on anything.

Joni

Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

Join eNewsletter

Hey Joni,

I don't know about tortilla flakes, but I have used tortilla crumbs. I'm not sure what the brand is, but they say "southern homestyle" at the top of the canister.

We like them...we use them to coat chicken & then fry them up in canola oil. Makes pretty good chicken fingers! I've never made a casserole with them.

-ro

aka 'the other joni' :lol:

never dx Celiac

dx IBS whole life

gluten free 9/12/07

husband:

blood test results negative

dx psoriatic arthritis 2005

psoriasis since childhood

gluten free 9/14/07

Join eNewsletter

Hey Joni,

I don't know about tortilla flakes, but I have used tortilla crumbs. I'm not sure what the brand is, but they say "southern homestyle" at the top of the canister.

That's it they said "southern homestyle". Maybe they are crumbs instead of flakes. I have to get some, they do sound good.

-ro

aka 'the other joni' :lol:

LOL!!! :D

Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

Join eNewsletter

The crushed tortillas that I bought.... (they came in a round can) were REALLY nasty. I tried them on Tuna Casserole and thought they were just plain yucky!!!!! I also tried them in a meatloaf and again they were really nasty. I guess I am beginning to think that if they don't taste like the real thing, they are not worth wasting my calories on them! I don't know of too many foods that were once made with real flour that actually taste good using a substitue flour. Those that do taste good are really high in fat and calories.....

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter