Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cath4k

We Are Having A Lot Of Cc Issues

Our latest cross contamination seems to be Pacific Almond milk. It is the only thing that seems to be common to all of us and the newest symptoms we are having. Sigh.

The cross contamination issue is the hardest one for us. Will we always be this sensitive???

My question is - Is there a list somewhere of safe products that are made in dedicated facilities or on dedicated lines? I found a contamination list, but it is small.

I so wish I could avoid all processed foods, but almost everything is processed to some degree. Even when you cook from scratch, you rely on processed food (vinegars, flours, vanilla, spices, etc.)

Thanks,

Cathy

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am a firm believer in replacing "some" of your kitchen items, I myself got CC'ed from my wooden rolling pin....

I replaced, all wood utensil and my rolling pin (replaced with stainless where I could)

All plastic bowl and utensils (bought stainless where I could)

All teflon pans that had scratches (now I only use stainless)

Yes my kitchen is looking alot like a silver wonderland but my accidental glutenings have decreased greatly.

I also suggest double checking all your lotions, creams, shampoo's and toothpastes for possible gluten as well.

I also have noticed that I seem to be more sensitive to smaller amounts of gluten the longer I am on the diet, I dont know if this is my imagination or reality so have become very cautious.

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

Join eNewsletter

I am a firm believer in replacing "some" of your kitchen items, I myself got CC'ed from my wooden rolling pin....

I replaced, all wood utensil and my rolling pin (replaced with stainless where I could)

All plastic bowl and utensils (bought stainless where I could)

All teflon pans that had scratches (now I only use stainless)

Yes my kitchen is looking alot like a silver wonderland but my accidental glutenings have decreased greatly.

I also suggest double checking all your lotions, creams, shampoo's and toothpastes for possible gluten as well.

I also have noticed that I seem to be more sensitive to smaller amounts of gluten the longer I am on the diet, I dont know if this is my imagination or reality so have become very cautious.

Thanks for your reply. We have replaced everything we can think of! We haven't switched our plastic storage containers for leftovers, but they don't seem to be causing a problem. I threw away all my flour containers. I didn't trust that I could get them clean enough - nevermind the fact that I didn't even want to open them and risk spreading the flour around.

I am just so frustrated with the possible cross contamination issue. A study done in 2004 showed that 20% of items marked wheat free or gluten free still contained gluten in them! How frustrating is that?? Companies will tell you their items are gluten free, but unless they test every batch, how do we know they are truly gluten free? That's why I would like to find sources that are produced in dedicated facilities or at least dedicated lines.

Thanks,

Cathy

Join eNewsletter

The best bet is to call the companies.

You may also want to look into other food intolerances. For instance, someone who was very sensitive to soy might react to the soy lecithin in the almond milk. Less common, but still possible, is a reaction to the carageenan. Of course, that is all on the assumption that tree nuts - a major allergen - aren't a problem.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter