Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blondebombshell

Ate Pizza And Have Some Questions!

i ordered a pizza yesterday from a pizza place (i knew i shouldn't have but i did).

anyway nothing happenend to me! my stomach had slight cramps but it only lasted a second and it went away.

what does this mean? why didnt i get sick?

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Are you diagnosed as a Celiac? If you are, you need to stay 100% gluten free. Even if you didn't feel bad, it is still doing damage if you have Celiac.

If you are positive you only have a gluten intolerance, and NOT celiac...then I guess maybe gluten doesn't bother you as much as you think it does? Be careful though because it takes some people a few days to get really sick.

Kassandra

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Join eNewsletter

-Absence of symptoms is not the same thing as absence of reaction. One does not need to feel it for gluten to be doing his/her body harm.

-Celiac symptoms can change over time

-If one goes "Gluten-lite" it can take a while before the immune system reaches its tipping point and causes a reaction that you can feel.

-In some people, the reaction is delayed by days.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

There are many EASY gluten-free pizza recipes. Take your favorite sauce and mozzarella and use it to top gluten-free toast. stick it under the broiler for about a minute, and you have pizza! You can also use corn tortillas--doesn't taste exactly like pizza crust, but my gluten-eating kids and their friends scarf it down anyway.

I have posted my pizza crust recipe several times--it should be floating around here somewhere. PM me if you can't find it and I'll send it to you. It's easy, it takes 30 minutes start to finish (hey, that's how long it takes to order out!), and it tastes just like a good Bisquick-type pizza crust (I used to make Bisquick crusts all the time before going off gluten).

Join eNewsletter

no, i haven't been diagnosed as a celiac. i have a gluten allergy and have an appt for an endoscopy in 2 weeks to see if i do. i went off gluten for a month and felt great; stomach and my skin cleared up.

he told me he wants me to eat gluten but when i eat things with gluten i generally get hugely bloated and covered in itchy hives. i had pizza and i didn't. thats why i was so surprised.

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Join eNewsletter

If you are positive you only have a gluten intolerance, and NOT celiac...

Kassandra

This might be misleading--it is possible to be gluten intolerant and not officially celiac simply because the gluten intolerance has not YET destroyed enough villi in the intestine to give an undeniable diagnosis of celiac--YET. By that line of thinking, gluten intolerance may be early-stage celiac. If so, do you really want to keep eating it until you HAVE destroyed the lining of your intestines?

By saying that someone is "only" gluten intolerant and not celiac, you are perpetuating the myth that gluten intolerance is somehow not as destructive, not as dangerous, not as serious--and then people with "only" gluten intolerance and people with celiac, diagnosed or undiagnosed, might not be taken seriously.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter