• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

bluejeangirl

Macaroni And Cheese

Rate this topic

I want to make homemade mac and cheese with tinkyada shells. They've been in my cupboard for half a year. :(

The recipes I'm most familar with is making a white sauce and adding shredded cheddar cheese, adding it to cooked noodles, then baking it.

For those who have expiremented with this before have you used cornstarch, or another type of flour you've found to be bettter. And if you use cornstarch do you need the melted butter because you usually make a slurry with it, not like flour where you need to cook it with the butter.

AND I'm wondering is it better not to bake it. I'm thinking the shells will get mushy and expand to much in the oven.

Thanks for any help.

Gail

I've made homemade mac and cheese several times, using Tinkyada pasta and a sauce made with white rice flour. It bakes well and tastes great!

I've made homemade mac and cheese several times, using Tinkyada pasta and a sauce made with white rice flour. It bakes well and tastes great!

Thanks Liz. I'll give it a try. It sounds good.

Gail

I always use the recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (which is basically what you described-but I use sharp cheddar, you don't have to use as much) and I just sub in whatever gluten-free flour mix I have on hand (ususally Bob's Redmill). It's always a big hit at our house! (double or triple the recipe-it freezes well too)

I guess what I always worry about when using different flours is do they perform with the same thickening power as the wheat flour does. I know how to use corn starch but its the others I'm not familar with. I should spend a day in the kitchen and see how different flours thicken a cup of water.

Thanks for the help,

Gail

I guess what I always worry about when using different flours is do they perform with the same thickening power as the wheat flour does. I know how to use corn starch but its the others I'm not familar with. I should spend a day in the kitchen and see how different flours thicken a cup of water.

Thanks for the help,

Gail

Hi blujeangirl,

I have never made mac&cheese this way but use those noodles alot and they r very easy to use just like the old ones with wheat in them, I make mine the same way I always have just now gluten-free and here my recp'

1/2 bag of spirral tinkyada noodles cooked drained and rinsed in cold water

then add them back to pan with a table spoon of real gluten-free butter (Great Value from Wal-Mart)

1/2 jar of gluten-free Cheese Sensations Chedda Flavor (Greta Value)

1/2 block colby cheese greated (Great Value)

stir til melted

then put in a buttered 9x9 glass baking dish with some shredded colby to the top sprinlke with salt and pepper bake til browend on top- in preheated 400 degree oven

I have always made this for family dinners as I did this Thanksgiving and there still wasn't enough to go around :)

Good Luck!

Bea

1/2 jar of gluten-free Cheese Sensations Chedda Flavor (Greta Value)

1/2 block colby cheese greated (Great Value)

stir til melted

Bea

Is cheese sensations the same as cheese whiz or velveeta? I like that this recipe uses both natural cheese and abit of the creamy cheese that comes in jars. I wouldn't want to use all velveeta type cheese but some helps with the consistancy. Which is why I used to use the white sauce.

Thanks Bea

Guest CD_Surviver

My mom and i use tinkyada pasta for everything because it makes the BEST pasta we have ever had gluten-free. we just do not cook it fully if we are going to bake it.

The recipe that we use is one package of tinkyada and then for the sauce weuse cornstarch as our thinkener but i have heard that it does not clump if you wisk into a cold liquid first beefore adding it to you sauce. so what we do is we take most of the milk we are going to use and we add butter to it then when the milk and the butter are up to a good temperature we add the cold milk with the cornstarch in it and then we add whatever cheeses we want or have and we always use some velveeta then when the sauce is finished we put the pasta and sauce in a baking dish and then we put some cheese on top to get crispy then we bake it at 350 until it looks good.

It is all just whatever we want we do not measure anything.

Lauren

Is cheese sensations the same as cheese whiz or velveeta? I like that this recipe uses both natural cheese and abit of the creamy cheese that comes in jars. I wouldn't want to use all velveeta type cheese but some helps with the consistancy. Which is why I used to use the white sauce.

Thanks Bea

It's just like cheese wiz, sorry didn't think about this :0

It is sooooooo good u will love it like we do :)