Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swittenauer

Mysterious Gluten

My husband always has red bumpy icky skin after he takes a shower for quite a while.....could this be from the shampoo or soap containing gluten?

July 19, 2005 - My husband Bill was diagnosed, via bloodwork, with Celiac.

August 3, 2005 - Biopsy confirmed Celiac Sprue.

Food Allergies: Chocolate, Shellfish & Gluten

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes -- at least this is what I've been told by folks here. There are alternative products; no one needs to be applying gluten to their body.

Edit: are you sure the products don't contain cocoa butter? I see a chocolate allergy too.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

So what are some brands of gluten free shampoo, soap, shaving cream, etc. ?

July 19, 2005 - My husband Bill was diagnosed, via bloodwork, with Celiac.

August 3, 2005 - Biopsy confirmed Celiac Sprue.

Food Allergies: Chocolate, Shellfish & Gluten

I use dove everything, they will list if there is gluten in their products. I have no idea on shaving cream. I would love to know which ones are safe since hubby uses them.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

My husband always has red bumpy icky skin after he takes a shower for quite a while.....could this be from the shampoo or soap containing gluten?

Do you mean when he takes a long shower? There are cases of hives that are caused by excess heat or cold. So a long, hot shower could trigger hives or just itching in a more mild reaction. .

Also, do you use dryer sheets? They can cause skin irritation. Since they are heat activated, drying your warm body off on a towel with the dryer sheet residue can cause itchiness and hives.

Celiac blood testing negative July 2007

Confirmed diagnosis of wheat allergy by skin test Dec 2007

Gluten-lite since July 2007 (didn't know all the hidden sources of gluten)

Gluten-free since December 2007

Life Long Symptoms

Extreme fatigue--needing 10-12 hours of sleep and still woke up exhusted

Allergic to everything--allergies remained out of control despite shots and strict enviornmental controls in my home.

Severe "sinus" headaches

More Recent Symptoms

IBS symptoms

Severe stabbing stomach pains that started 6 months before diagnosis of wheat allergy.

In my heart I feel it is more than an allergy and that I am gluten intolerant. This is based on my how eerily my childhood maladies match most celiac's histories, and my more recent increase in the severity of my usual symptoms and new digestive symptoms that have already started to subside on the gluten-free diet.

Dr. Peter Green, who published a very comprehensive book "Celiac Disease" last year, dealt with cosmetics and claimed topical application would not be problematic. Lipstick etc. would be, though since that kind of thing gets down into the stomach. Tootpaste, too.

However, many many people on this board would dispute Green's basic claim and they avoid glutenc containing products and they feel they have had problems.

My mom is the most reactive person imaginable....an invisible amount of gluten could make her sick for days. Yet, she has used a number of creams and things which contain gluten and she didn't have a reaction (some of these things she found out about after using them for awhile).

Speaking for myself, there are a ton of various product ingredients (lauryl sulfate for one) in shampoos and various things which I react to...with red rashes etc. So I sure try to find pure ingredients where I can and avoid all the chemical things where possible.

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.