• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Lollie

Kids + Asthma + Gluten?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if there is a connection to gluten and asthma? My daughter is about 75% gluten-free and starting the 1st she will go totally gluten-free ( I already am). We found out earlier this year that she has asthma, and she has alot of constipation, and she tends to be very moody.... Just wondering if any of you have experience with any of this, especially the asthma, and did it get better?

Thanks

Lollie

Does anyone know if there is a connection to gluten and asthma? My daughter is about 75% gluten-free and starting the 1st she will go totally gluten-free ( I already am). We found out earlier this year that she has asthma, and she has alot of constipation, and she tends to be very moody.... Just wondering if any of you have experience with any of this, especially the asthma, and did it get better?

Thanks

Lollie

I thought my little girl's asthma got better when we first went gluten-free, but i guess it just wasnt the time of year when her allergies were bad. Her asthma is worse than ever, and she is 100% gluten, milk, soy, nut and fish free :( It's been alot better over the holidays. She got an ear infection, so she had to go on antibiotics... which also made her get over her cold/ possible sinus infection that she had. I really think my kids asthma is set off by being sick. I wish other moms wouldnt send their kids to school with nasty colds.

I started having asthma about the same time I started having celiac disease symptoms, at the age of three. It got better with age for the most part. But now, when I am glutened, I also start wheezing and get asthma. Normally I only get it when near tobacco smoke, dogs or cats, or with exertion.

It has been shown that in many cases that celiac disease can trigger asthma. Once you have it, though, it may not necessarily go away with a gluten-free diet (even though it might, or at least lessen it). Just like it can trigger other things, like diabetes or hypothyroidism, that won't go away just by being gluten-free.

she is 100% gluten, milk, soy, nut and fish free :(

Unfortunately, you may not have eliminated one or more of the triggers yet. I also start wheezing when eating rice and eggs. And my asthma is also triggered by environmental allergies. I am unable to have any pets because of that, and can't be near people who smoke.

Thanks

Lollie

HI MY DAUGTHER IS 2 YRS OLD AND SHE HAS NOT BEEN FULLY DIAGNOSED WITH CELIAC SHE HAS HER ENDOSCOPY TOMORROW. BUT SHE HAS ASTMA TO ITS NOT OUT OF CONTROL RIGHT KNOW. BUT SHE HAS HAD ALOT OF OTHER PROBLEMS.IM SO SCARED BUT I WOUN;T KNOW MUCH TILL THE TEST RESULTS COME BACK. HANG IN THERE I HOPE UR BABY GIRL GETS BETTER.

Unfortunately, you may not have eliminated one or more of the triggers yet. I also start wheezing when eating rice and eggs. And my asthma is also triggered by environmental allergies. I am unable to have any pets because of that, and can't be near people who smoke.

Oh, im sure i havent eliminated all of her triggers... unfortunately they arent obvious enough for me to catch on. She was originally diagnosed with 13 food allergies before being diagnosed with celiac.

wheat, rice, potato

codfish, shrimp,

peanut, almond, pecan

pork, chicken

banana, apple and lemon

We avoid most of that still, just by avoiding peanuts, treenuts, fish and shellfish, the rest we have slowly introduced, although she doesnt get much lemon or apples. I worry that rice is really going to start affecting her, because of the amount you consume as a celiac, plus her allergy was 4+ to that one on skin testing. We have tried to narrow it down to eating mostly meat, fruit and veggies, only whole foods. She really doesnt get any eggs (although i made deviled eggs last night and she ate three) because most of her snack foods are "allergen free" and that includes egg-free.

Other than food, my husband is allergic to everything as well, so we have no pets, we dont smoke, and we have covers on all our mattresses and pillows, we have no knick-knacks etc. My husband still suffers from severe asthma as an adult (although he wont eliminate the two foods he tested positive for, Barley and Hops, try to get a 26 year old male to give up those two, lol) I really think we are doomed to have asthma in our family, my grandmother, uncle, 3 cousins, my husband and his two sisters, his father, his 3 uncles, 2 aunts, etc, are all still asthmatic as adults, one even carries an epi-pen for asthma. My little boy already shows signs of asthma and he is 11 months, i first heard him wheeze at 3 months, and like i said our house is pretty good for people with allergies, and he was exclusively breastfed when i first started hearing his asthma symptoms :( Hopefully the kids will outgrow it, or hopefully i can figure it out more.

I am allergic to barley and asked the nutricionist if that could be the link (hereditarian) to her being diagnosed with Celiac. She mentioned that there was no evidence of respiratory allergies with Celiac.

My wife and I are also reading the new book: " Celiac Disease: A hidden Epidemic" by Peter H.R. Green, M.D and in part II of the book Related Conditions and Complications he talks about Ataxia, Neurophaties, Migranes, epilepsy, paralisys...etc. but never mentioned Asthma.

I hope this helps.

Luis Wasserman

Daughter 2yr old diagnosed last week of 2007.

I am allergic to barley and asked the nutricionist if that could be the link (hereditarian) to her being diagnosed with Celiac. She mentioned that there was no evidence of respiratory allergies with Celiac.

My wife and I are also reading the new book: " Celiac Disease: A hidden Epidemic" by Peter H.R. Green, M.D and in part II of the book Related Conditions and Complications he talks about Ataxia, Neurophaties, Migranes, epilepsy, paralisys...etc. but never mentioned Asthma.

I hope this helps.

Luis Wasserman

Daughter 2yr old diagnosed last week of 2007.

Well, Dr. Green is not perfect. In fact, I have to dismiss some of his book because some things he says I think are just plain wrong. Still, it is a great book.

I HAVE seen several studies that mention asthma as being one of the conditions triggered by celiac disease.

http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/rel-dis.html

http://surefoodsliving.com/celiac-disease/symptoms/

Diseases and conditions associated with celiac disease:

* Addison’s Disease

* AIDS

* Asthma

* Anemia

* Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

* Autism

* Autoimmune liver disease

* Autoimmune thyroid disease

* Chronic diarrhea of unknown origin

* Lactose intolerance

* Dermatitis herpetiformis (a burning, itching, blistering rash), and other skin disorders

* Type 1 diabetes

* Thyroid disease

* Down’s Syndrome

* Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

* Hepatitis C

* Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis

* Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)

* Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)

* Microscopic colitis

* Unexplained infertility

* Miscarriage

* Osteoporosis or osteopenia

* Certain types of intestinal cancer and Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma

* Peripheral neuropathy

* Sjogren’s syndrome

* Neurological conditions, including ataxia and schizophrenia

* Autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and sytemic lupus erythematosus

A couple of things...I have a friend who is 16 and she decided she wanted to go on a gluten-free diet because "I inspired her" :P and she took out all obvious sources and most hidden, then ate a hamburger with the bun and everything, and had a full blown asthma attack. She told me "I will NEVER eat another stupid hamburger bun!" Well, she did learn the hard way.

Also, a person at the Celiac Foundation told me that she knew quite a few kids who were dx'd and their asthma got WAY better.

I hope your DD gets better soon...must be awful to watch her be so sick. :(

Of interest is this article (Abstract below)

Acta Paediatr. 2005 Apr;94(4):386-93. Links

Tight junctions, leaky intestines, and pediatric diseases.Liu Z, Li N, Neu J.

International Peace Maternity and Child Health Hospital, Shanghai, China.

BACKGROUND: Tight junctions (TJs) represent the major barrier within the paracellular pathway between intestinal epithelial cells. Disruption of TJs leads to intestinal hyperpermeability (the so-called "leaky gut") and is implicated in the pathogenesis of several acute and chronic pediatric disease entities that are likely to have their origin during infancy. AIM: This review provides an overview of evidence for the role of TJ breakdown in diseases such as systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS), inflammatory bowel disease, type 1 diabetes, allergies, asthma, and autism. CONCLUSION: A better basic understanding of this structure might lead to prevention or treatment of these diseases using nutritional or other means.