This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Keratosis Pilaris

Nutmegger

Nutmegger Rookie

I know there have been some discussions about this in the past, but they seem kinda old (unless I'm overlooking something), so here's a new thread!

I started getting itchy red bumps on my outer arms around the same time I started having celiac symptoms, and I didn't really make a connection between the two until I read this in the most recent Family Circle:

Q+A: My teen has little red bumps on the sides of his arms. What are they?

It's most likely keratosis pilaris, a skin condition that tends to flair up in the winter. "It's an inherited condition that can peak in the late teen years," says Alan Fleischer, M.D., professor and chair of dermatology at Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. There's no cure, but moisturizers like Open Original Shared Link that contain alpha-hydroxy acid are most helpful in reducing the bumps. The lotion works as an exfoliant to remove dead skin and renew the surface so skin looks and feels smoother. If it doesn't clear up in a few months, see a dermatologist.

I've been so self-conscious of this for a long time, so I was happy to find out this is common and that there are lotions for it! Some Googling just now tells me this is really common among people with celiac.

So...do any of you have it? Would you suggest AMLactin or any of the other lotions/creams? I'd really like to be able to start wearing sleeveless shirts again without feeling so insecure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nmw Newbie

I have had this my whole life, but it has all but disappeared since I went gluten-free. My son has it as well. He's going to be tested for celiac disease/GI next month.

Nutmegger Rookie

Mine has lessened, but it still flares up in really cold and really warm weather. I've tried exfoliating a lot, but now I see that's one of the worst things you can do with it. Maybe that's why it hasn't gone away. I'm hoping one of the creams or lotions they make for it might help.

mommida Enthusiast

Mine cleared up on the gluten free diet. In the days before starting the gluten free diet, the cream helped a lot. Exfoliating never helped.

L

MrMark Apprentice
....So...do any of you have it?...

My KP feels like 60 grit sandpaper. Going gluten-free has helped, they don't seem to be so grainy feeling. When I was a kid, I was covered in freckles, but for the past 15 years or so I lost all my freckles under KP, DH and just plain bad skin. gluten-free has allowed the freckles to become visible again. Gluten-free has been real good for my skin. I think the KP is with me for life though.

confusedks Enthusiast

I have something like this, but the allergist said it's a mild form of ezcema. He told me to use amlactin also, but it didn't help. Also, going gluten-free didn't do anything for it either. Eventually I may see a dermatologist.

• 3 weeks later...
Michelle B Newbie

I did not know this had a name, or that it was gluten-related - I just had a flare up of it too, after accidentally eating gluten. Hopefully, they'll die down again now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nutmegger Rookie

For what it's worth, I've been using AmLactin at least once a day and it's amazing how well it's working. The redness hasn't gone away completely, but my arms are almost completely smooth now. I'm ecstatic.

cellostix Newbie

I had KP for years before the celiac diagnosis came through. Most of the bumps went away within the first year after I went gluten-free. I had tried who-knows how many lotions, creams, ointments, etc before. The only one that worked, and worked really well, was Salex (Rx). I still use it occasionally; the only problem with it is a slight chemically smell. If you have allergies and a stuffy nose like me, you might not even notice.

• 2 weeks later...
Yenni Enthusiast

I have had that since I was little. I am not sure if it has gotten better since I have gone gluten-free. It might have. My skin is read on my upper arms and face, but it isn't as bumpy at all, so I guess it has gotten better.

My half brother has it too. No one in my family wants to have anything to do with Celiac Disease (even if I carry 2 pairs of genes-one pair from each parent) and many in my family has stomach problems. Denial is bliss I guess, at least if your symptoms aren't bad enough.

Anyways, I tried that creme and it made my skin hurt after a couple of days. It has BHA in it and that can make the skin sensitive and one should not be in the sun at all (so protect that area). It did seem to work some though. Mine isn't so bad so I don't do anything with it. It isn't mostly just red. The creme never changed that either. I think it just prevents the pores to plug with that kerotis stuff.

Archived