Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marinewife

Picky Eater And Gluten Go Hand In Hand

I just posted about snacks for my son. This got me thinking, I was curious if gluten effects picky eaters.

My son has always gravitated toward eating a lot gluten foods.

Recently I have been eliminating gluten foods from my sons diet and he is more willing to eat new foods. This was a huge no no before.

My son has always inspected his food before eating by looking at it and smelling it.

Has anyone else experience this? Has there been a change since going gluten free?

Thanks,

Sharon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My daughter that has celiac disease was also an extremely picky eater. She's my only picky eater. She is getting a lot better since we started eating gluten-free. I imagine that picky eating was one of her defense mechanisms.

She dismissed foods based on looks and texture mostly. Even now, she closes her eyes when she takes her first bite of a new food. :)

Mine's the opposite. My celiac DD will eat/try anything and always has. My non-celiac son won't eat anything unless it's white/cream--no other colors....hence my recipe (modified from Deceptively Delicious) for chicken nuggets dredged in broccoli and breaded in crackers!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

The previous gravitation towards eating gluten foods may be part of gluten's addictive properties on a celiac.

The picky eating may be because subconsciously he knows that certain foods make him sick. I'm sure with time he'll get over that and begin to eat a larger variety of foods.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Both of my sons are definitely more open to trying and eating new foods now that they are gluten-free. The change in that area has been very significant for us!

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.