• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

BemLmom3

Soy Help

Rate this topic

So my daughter has been gluten-free/CF since late Nov. She just turned 4yrs old, has been dx celiac disease by regular Ped and "possible celiac" by GI(already on gluten-free and chose not to challenge for tests but she does have a great pos response to diet and DQ2 gene)

So right when we switch diet over she was doing beautifully. Now we are starting to see some symptoms return. Could have been gluten once or twice by eating out, but other than that we have been VERY careful. I am now afraid she might be having reaction to soy. She is complaining of tummy hurting and constipation and VERY large poops are back. :(

I am worried this will leave very little to eat. The envirokidz cereal and animal crackers and almond crackers she loves and I see soybean in them. Do I need to remove those or just soy milks and soy cheeses? The almond milk has soy lecticin. She likes rice milk which is great but I need some cereal and snack ideas that are free of soy too??? Any help please..........I just want my little girl to feel good again!

Thanks

Sharon

I would take all soy out of her diet for 6 weeks and see how she does, if there is no change then give her the soy back and you will know she is still getting gluten from something. I had to give up glutan, casein and soy to feel better. It was very hard but it is doable. Have u tried giving her lara bars, some of the flavors are really good.

For cereal can u give her fruity or cocoa pebbles, i think those are soy free but double check. The one that was hard for me was peanut butter, but you can have natural or almond butter, which is very good and my 3 yr old loves it.

If you need more ideas let me know, i can write some of the things i enjoyed when on gluten, soy and casein free diet.

paula

Guest Rosany

Soy free is hard but dooable. My son has celiac disease and thyroid disease and is allergic to soy, nuts, eggs, milk, casein and all beans. We give him perky o's ceraels and he likes the apple cinnamon one. Be careful with the ready make breaded chicken because it usually had soy someowhere in the ingredients. Also vegetable oil is all soybean so be careful with that. I give my son sweet potato pancakes and corn meal for breading for chicken. Rice milk is what he drinks and all natural lays potato chips, all natural tostitos corn chips, Adrean Dream (select flavors) and energy life (select flavors) cookies are soy free gluten-free as well. I hope this helps and good luck with everything.

Hugs Hugs,

Rosa

Soy free is hard but dooable. My son has celiac disease and thyroid disease and is allergic to soy, nuts, eggs, milk, casein and all beans. We give him perky o's ceraels and he likes the apple cinnamon one. Be careful with the ready make breaded chicken because it usually had soy someowhere in the ingredients. Also vegetable oil is all soybean so be careful with that. I give my son sweet potato pancakes and corn meal for breading for chicken. Rice milk is what he drinks and all natural lays potato chips, all natural tostitos corn chips, Adrean Dream (select flavors) and energy life (select flavors) cookies are soy free gluten-free as well. I hope this helps and good luck with everything.

Hugs Hugs,

Rosa

I could be wrong but I thought Tostitos had soybean oil in them.

I've seen some rice milk/soy milk that actually has some gluten, so double check that too. Even when the container says gluten-free, the fine print may indicate some level, which they are allowed to call gluten-free as defined by the CODEX rules :angry:

I've made my own nut milks though, since it's really easy. Just put some almonds, pecans, walnuts, or whatever in a blender with water, and whip that up until the nuts are completely pulverized. All you might see left are tiny specks. Then to stretch it out and make it more economical, I add a little guar gum to get it creamy, which also helps keep things from settling out. Otherwise it takes more nuts.

Still, it could be the soy, or something else she is now eating more of. I had symptoms return too, until I eliminated potato and other nightshades (tomato, peppers, eggplant, etc).

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

Guest Rosany

Julie,

You are right that some of the tostitos have soybean oil but the one we use us Natural tostitos yellow corn and it is made with: whole organic yellow corn, sunflower oil, and sea salt. Hope this helps...Hugs Hugs and have a great day

Hugs,

Rosa

My 6 year old Celiac is also intolerant to soy, and allergic to dairy, eggs, & nuts.

Feeding her is a huge challenge. We weren't sure of the soy issue until we did an elimination challenge. I didn't "seem" to notice much difference until we added it back in. THEN it was painfully obvious. I hope you aren't dealing with a soy issue as well.

So my daughter has been gluten-free/CF since late Nov. She just turned 4yrs old, has been dx celiac disease by regular Ped and "possible celiac" by GI(already on gluten-free and chose not to challenge for tests but she does have a great pos response to diet and DQ2 gene)

So right when we switch diet over she was doing beautifully. Now we are starting to see some symptoms return. Could have been gluten once or twice by eating out, but other than that we have been VERY careful. I am now afraid she might be having reaction to soy. She is complaining of tummy hurting and constipation and VERY large poops are back. :(

I am worried this will leave very little to eat. The envirokidz cereal and animal crackers and almond crackers she loves and I see soybean in them. Do I need to remove those or just soy milks and soy cheeses? The almond milk has soy lecticin. She likes rice milk which is great but I need some cereal and snack ideas that are free of soy too??? Any help please..........I just want my little girl to feel good again!

Thanks

Sharon

Bayleigh is allergic/intolerant to soy. Her allergist gave me cards from FAAN that i keep in my purse to let me know which ingredients contain her allergens. The soy one says that studies have shown that most people allergic to soy can safely consume soy oil and soy lecithin. We had already been COMPLETELY soy free for a month when i reintro'd soy oil and soy lecithin. No reactions. HTH!