This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soaps, Lotions, Shampoos Oh My, Please Help

thumper

thumper Apprentice

I am very new to celiac disease and I was told that it could be very helpful to use gluten free body soaps, lotions, shampoo, conditioner, etc.... So off to the store I went thinking well this sounds easy enough.

Wow was I wrong !! I started reading labels on all the health and beauty items and realized how stupid I am and that I would need a degree in Chemistry to have a clue.

I came home with nothing but alittle bit of hope left thinking "hey the internet should be able to help" so I did so many searches using all sorts of different words and now I know nothing.

I thought the food changes where tough but this seems impossible.

Can someone please help me out on this ??

Thumper :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

You might just want to start out with Dove products until you did some more research. Personally, I love Dove products, but the reason for that is, that all of the nice natural products in the health food store are very high in salicylates and and make me sick, too.

Health food stores have a ton of really nice, natural products. You just have to make sure none of them have wheat germ oil, barley extract or oat bran (all very commonly used in personal care products).

Krysten Newbie

California baby Wash is gluten-free, although a tad expensive. Finesse is and so are the soaps and shampoos from Gluten-free Savonnerie. I called Dove & asked about their cleanisng wipes for the face & they were, but she said one of the shampoos has wheat in it & a sensitive skin lotion has oats in it.

iamtgif Newbie

I am celiac, gluten free, dairy, soy, egg, yeast free. I use Loreal hair products (shampoo, conditioner, hair spray and gel) and Neutrogena soap. I bring my cell phone to the store and call the company in the store about each product. Both these companys are very helpful. When a company does not know what is in the product, I do not buy from that company. You will learn what companys are good to buy from. I also use Bare Escentual makeup (not the lotion, it has oats.)

Looking good. :rolleyes:

Krysten Newbie
I am celiac, gluten free, dairy, soy, egg, yeast free. I use Loreal hair products (shampoo, conditioner, hair spray and gel) and Neutrogena soap. I bring my cell phone to the store and call the company in the store about each product. Both these companys are very helpful. When a company does not know what is in the product, I do not buy from that company. You will learn what companys are good to buy from. I also use Bare Escentual makeup (not the lotion, it has oats.)

Looking good. :rolleyes:

Can I ask which specific products you use from Loreal & neutrogena? I found out today their (Neutrogena) moisturizer "moisture for sensitive skin" is gluten-free.

Ursa Major Collaborator
California baby Wash is gluten-free, although a tad expensive. Finesse is and so are the soaps and shampoos from Gluten-free Savonnerie. I called Dove & asked about their cleanisng wipes for the face & they were, but she said one of the shampoos has wheat in it & a sensitive skin lotion has oats in it.

Do you know which Dove shampoo has wheat in it?

iamtgif Newbie

This is what I use:

Neutrogena

Hand soap - rainbath,, refreshing shower and bath gel

body lotion - light sesame formula

lotion for face - oil free moisture spf 15

soap for body - relaxing shower and bath gel, lavender & chamomile

Loreal

Shampoo - VIVE pro, color vive shampoo, for highlighted hair

Conditioner - VIVE pro, color vive conditioner, for highlighted hair

Hair gel - Loreal Paris, Studio Above it all, Invisi Gel Volumizing gel, Extreme Hold

Hairspray - Loreal Paris, Studio Strong Suit, Mega Spritz finishing hairspray, Extreme Hold

Coppertone

Coppertone sport sunblock lotion, ultra sweatproof, spf 30

I would still recommend calling the companies. I have not gotten sick using these products.

Let me know how you do. Also make sure you are using gluten free toothpaste like Tom's of Maine. Only certain products contain gluten but all of their toothpaste is now gluten-free. Check to see if your makeup/lipstick is gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michelle1234 Contributor

I am going through this same thing. Here is the response I got from Neutrogena. They responded right away which was great. But I couldn't find any of these products that I was looking for in a Safeway, Walmart or Albertson's. I wasted a ton of time looking for a basic face lotion for night (no SPF) and basic shampoo and conditioner.

Thank you for contacting Neutrogena

Michelle1234 Contributor

I also sent Dove an e-mail. This is what they said:

Thanks for writing!

We do not specifically test our products for the presence of gluten, a

sticky protein found in some grains such as wheat. Gluten may be

present

in products that contain derivatives of wheat, oat, rye, and barley.

In labeling our products, our company follows the guidelines

established

by the International Nomenclature for Cosmetics; Ingredients (INCI)

process. Therefore, if we use an ingredient derived from a grain such

as

wheat, oat, rye, and/or barley, those names will appear on the label.

One common example is "Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein". If you see this on

the

label, the material was derived from wheat, so the product may contain

gluten.

Thank you for your interest!

Your friends at Unilever

Michelle1234 Contributor

Sorry for posting 3 times but I thought I could save you some time. I also went to our local health food store which had a list of their gluten free personal care products. I thought their ingredients lists were too long and confusing. So with a little more research I ordered from an Internet company called Dakota Free. They also make the Gluten-Free Savonnerie products so if you find items on both web sites and call them to order you can order from both web sites with only one shipping fee. My order came over the weekend and I thought I'd use them for a week before posting a review. My skin has been very reactive and my dermatologist warned against getting something with too many botanicals, food product, herbs, flowers etc. in it.

Good luck!

Michelle

jerseyangel Proficient
Sorry for posting 3 times but I thought I could save you some time. I also went to our local health food store which had a list of their gluten free personal care products. I thought their ingredients lists were too long and confusing. So with a little more research I ordered from an Internet company called Dakota Free. They also make the Gluten-Free Savonnerie products so if you find items on both web sites and call them to order you can order from both web sites with only one shipping fee. My order came over the weekend and I thought I'd use them for a week before posting a review. My skin has been very reactive and my dermatologist warned against getting something with too many botanicals, food product, herbs, flowers etc. in it.

Good luck!

Michelle

Michelle,

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Dakota Free products. I use their Moisturizing Lotion and have used their bar soap--both of them I like very much.

Another company you may want to check out is Andrea Rose. I love the facial moisturizing cream from them--it's perfect to use at night--all their products are gluten-free. I've spoken to the owner, and even the vitamin E they use is safe.

Open Original Shared Link

Michelle1234 Contributor
Michelle,

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Dakota Free products. I use their Moisturizing Lotion and have used their bar soap--both of them I like very much.

Another company you may want to check out is Andrea Rose. I love the facial moisturizing cream from them--it's perfect to use at night--all their products are gluten-free. I've spoken to the owner, and even the vitamin E they use is safe.

Open Original Shared Link

Patti,

Thanks for the referral. I will check them out.

I'm waiting a week before writing my review to let my skin detox from what I was using before and see how its reacting to the new products. Its dry, cold and sunny here. In addition I swim so it gets a big dose of chlorine. The end result is my skin often feels like sandpaper and is often bright red and splotchy.

Best,

Michelle

iamtgif Newbie

I have bought all the products that I listed at Longs.

Katrinm Newbie

I have added this into a few different threads but I was impressed with them.

Herbology Beauty Co. is owned by a celiac. All the products in the company are gluten free.

Archived