• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

FlourShopGirl

Hormonal Issues During Period

Rate this topic

Anyone go through this? For 2 years I have been having very extreme periods. They only last for 4 days but when I ovulate to a week past my period my moods are horrible. I get suicidal, OCD thoughts, depression and anxiety attacks daily... it's horrible. I'll feel extreme mental fog/confusion like I should be locked up in a hospital. The doctor keeps saying PMDD but could it be at all Celiac related? :(

I have many period issues, including endometriosis and PMDD. I also didn't get my period until I was almost 15, despite being tall and otherwise...prepared lol, where my mom got it at 11. On my own, I only get my period every 3-5 months, with spotting in between. The doctor thinks I don't ovulate on my own. Currently I'm on birth control, which has fixed everything except the killer cramps from endometriosis, so I can't say if being off gluten has fixed the other problems. But I hope it has, otherwise there's a very good chance I won't be able to have kids. But I believe there are other people on here with similar problems, and hopefully gluten is the answer! Good luck! And do think about Birth Control... it has made my life much easier.

I have many period issues, including endometriosis and PMDD. I also didn't get my period until I was almost 15, despite being tall and otherwise...prepared lol, where my mom got it at 11. On my own, I only get my period every 3-5 months, with spotting in between. The doctor thinks I don't ovulate on my own. Currently I'm on birth control, which has fixed everything except the killer cramps from endometriosis, so I can't say if being off gluten has fixed the other problems. But I hope it has, otherwise there's a very good chance I won't be able to have kids. But I believe there are other people on here with similar problems, and hopefully gluten is the answer! Good luck! And do think about Birth Control... it has made my life much easier.

I considered taking YAZ however, I am nervous about taking it because I went on the lowest form available and my anxiety wes through the roof. My mom has ovarian cancer (she's 56 and never took BC) and I know it would lower my chances but I am still worried about it messing with my horomones-

I got my period at 12, almost 13. I am glad to hear BC helped you!

I considered taking YAZ however, I am nervous about taking it because I went on the lowest form available and my anxiety wes through the roof. My mom has ovarian cancer (she's 56 and never took BC) and I know it would lower my chances but I am still worried about it messing with my horomones-

I got my period at 12, almost 13. I am glad to hear BC helped you!

Nerves and anxiety and depression etc. etc. are common with celiac due again to malabsorption. So make sure you are taking adequate supplements and avoiding all trace gluten. I certainly suffered for years when I had my periods as well as with my nerves and know what you mean. I still get some similar problems even now just from my body getting too congested from lack of exercise and/or eating the wrong things.

I suggest taking a good b complex and somelthing like Now's super primrose oil and if you can handle it cod liver oil or a non gluten D tab. might help. I also think detox herbs such as dandelion and yellow dock alternating with milk thistle and oregon grape root (alternate every other week) would do wonders.

Another good thing to take all the time for your nerbes and as an anti depressant is scullcap. Its an herb that both calms your nerves and feeds them at the same time. Fresh lavendar, melissa and rosemary tea is also great with the scullcap added. Chamomile is a good addition too. My brohter swears on St. John's Wort though it hasn't worked for me.

Make sure you are getting a variety of good quality oils in your diet to feed your nerves and it should help against the depression. Even cold pressed coconut oil is good as well as the usual butter and olive oil and cold pressed safflower or sunflower oil (don't cook with these last 2 despite what the bottle says!--best refrigerated too).

The endometriosis etc. (as well as the lining of your gut) would be helped healed and soothed by both taking marshmallow root and slippery elm caps regularly. Bromelain/papain caps do wonders against inflammation also plus pancreatin with meals is wise to help with digestion and thus end some of the problems down-wind. Nattokinase taken away from meals will greatly reduce scar tissue in the gut and elsewhere. It also helps reduce inflammation too and rids the blood vessels of built up plaque.

And of course eat lots of green veggies. Though for me being a vegetarian never worked.

.... and of course one can't forget aerobic Exercise! For myself I love to walk and swim. Plus if you can find it a jacuzzi and sauna could do wonders.

Good luck!

Yolo

Hey, I've had a lot of problems with my period too, but mine are all physical, not emotional. It sounds like you need some cod liver oil! The Vitamin D and the omega 3 fatty acids help with depression, and the vitamin A helps to regulate your... hormones? I'm not sure why, but it helped my period even out a bit. I take extra vit A on top of my cod liver oil. My general state of emotional whatever has definitely improved since I've been taking cod liver oil. I also think better. It will help repair your poor insides after all the damage too. And Vitamin b complex will be good for the malabsorption, I'm sure you've heard that before.