Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

psipsina

Traveling On The Candida Diet . . . Advice?

OK so I've traveled gluten-free before but never while on the Candida diet. I'll need to bring enough food with me onto the plane to make it thru my travel day (6am-1pm so not too bad). What can you guys think of thats portable without a cooler? Also is it possible to eat out like this and not eat at a steakhouse?? Any good ideas how to transport all my supplements with me without having a pharmacy in my luggage?? I'm probably overthinking this but would love advice or even reassurances that I'm not crazy for undertaking this.

Pre-diagnosis misdiagnoses: endometriosis, migraines, psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis

Diagnosed April 2006 with multiple food sensitivities (gluten, yeast, eggs, cow dairy, legumes, some nuts and veggies) and a systemic candida infection -no pre-diagnosis symptoms since!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

On the plane I usually bring raw cashews. Used to roast/bake them, or almonds, first but haven't bothered the last few times.

Also for the plane I've brought brown rice tortillas rolled up w/ almond butter.

Once, after switching which bag would be carry-on, I got pulled to the side after they saw my potentially explosive (& over 3 oz) jar of almond butter.

But it's no problem thru security when it's already prepared as food.

I don't even try to eat out much. To reach the level of confidence I need, I'd have to go to somewhat expensive restaurants.

If you're traveling to CA, I've been fine lately w/ El Pollo Loco chicken & just the pintos for a side.

(I say 'lately' because I'm not sure whether it would've been fine when my candida was worse)

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Join eNewsletter

Traveling is tough!!! :(

I would bring cashew butter and granny smith apples. Snacking on nuts and seeds dry roasted is good too as mentioned above.

I make and bring my own salad dressings (no sugar) and order lots of salad and steamed veggies.

Celery sticks with cashew butter is good too.

It is a lot of work to plan ahead but it is always better to feel well than to be sick!! Ug

Moldlady :)

Join eNewsletter

Thanks y'all. I hadn't thought of cashews or cashew butter!! I figured out that I'm going to fill up some empty travel size shampoo bottles with water and freeze them to keep my probiotics cool in my purse (since I can't bring a real size freezer pack for fear of explosivity lol). I think I've got enough ideas for the plane. I'm still nervous about trying to get my family to understand precisely what I'm doing . . . my aunt is really trying. She wants to do a little pre-shopping in case we can't go to the wholefoods the day I get in and keeps e-mailing me funny food related questions about what I can and can't have. Oy vey. I still have no ideas of how to transport my bazillion supplement bottles without just putting them all in my checked in baggage. Maybe I'll buy one of those pill organizers but I'm not sure if they are big enough for all the random stuff I take in a day on this diet.

Pre-diagnosis misdiagnoses: endometriosis, migraines, psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis

Diagnosed April 2006 with multiple food sensitivities (gluten, yeast, eggs, cow dairy, legumes, some nuts and veggies) and a systemic candida infection -no pre-diagnosis symptoms since!

Join eNewsletter

I don't know about customs these days and supplements. Maybe someone can help out

When I travel I take those really small ziplocks that are 1/2 sandwich size. I label with marker what is inside and put my suupplements in there. You can easily stack a ton of stuff in these and they do not take up much room at all.

have a safe trip

moldlady

Join eNewsletter

I think you could probably eat out okay as long as you ask for your meats to be prepared with olive oil and salt. And veggies steamed - no seasoning.

A lot of times the seasoning they put on the food is questionable. I usuallly order stuff grilled and broiled and plain.

Just tell them you have allergies and they should abide.

The plane is a whole different story! Take lots of snacks. Last time I went on the plane I took a little cooler bag filled with lots of snacks.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter