Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yolo

Gluten Free Building Materials

I learned here on somebody's post last week that pre-mixed plaster used in building construction has gluten in it. This explains so much of why I have so often gotten weak and sick at work, and the same with my business partner who also has celiac. It can't just be old age since we are otherwise perfectly fit.

It makes me suspect other building materials--like glues for vinyl flooring, wood patch and the like. Can anyone give me a heads up on this?

I am the boss so I can have what I want at the building site. I want it to be gluten free as much as possible for obvious reasons.

Fortunately the plaster is an easy thing to correct since I used to always mix the plaster myself. It dries faster and is harder than the pre-mixed sort. Now I know why. I suppose if I want to extend it I can put cornmeal in it like my Dad did to create texture on the walls.

Any insights here would be a great help!

Yolo

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The NIH has a household products database that can give you some information of the ingredients in a lot of products. My computer crashed a while ago so I don't have the link any longer but will see if I can find it later today.

Some of the most common items to find gluten ingredients are wall paper that is prepasted, wall paper paste, wood glue, white glue, drywall compound and sometimes the drywall itself.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

The NIH has a household products database that can give you some information of the ingredients in a lot of products. My computer crashed a while ago so I don't have the link any longer but will see if I can find it later today.

Some of the most common items to find gluten ingredients are wall paper that is prepasted, wall paper paste, wood glue, white glue, drywall compound and sometimes the drywall itself.

help! I'v used excess wallpaper to line my kitchen cupboards and drawers. Could this be causing me problems? You seem to be so helpful to so many. Susan

Join eNewsletter

help! I'v used excess wallpaper to line my kitchen cupboards and drawers. Could this be causing me problems? You seem to be so helpful to so many. Susan

If it is already done I would not worry about it, unless you put the glue side up. If it is making you feel anxious you could just cover it with vinyl shelf lining paper. If you didn't glue it down then if you feel better just replace it with plain paper or shelf liners. The main hazard is when applying the products or when sanding.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter