Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lux

Migraine - Gluten Withdrawal Symptom?

Hey there,

I am recently diagnosed with celiac disease, and have been gluten-free for five days. Overall, I have been feeling an amazing improvement - all but for last night when I experienced what can only be described as a migraine aura, without the head pain (okay, so there was a little pain). I couldn't read or write coherently; was seeing weird, "spots" of light which partially obscured my vision, and, later on, my mouth started "buzzing" and tingling. I was terrified. The thing is, I have never before experienced problems with migraines - or even any neurological symptoms such as those described. Is it common,for these to suddenly arise due to the *elimination* of gluten??

Curious...

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, it could be a symptom of adjustment. Allergies to wheat could lead to this type of symptom as well. Just hang in there, it may clear up and be fine. Please keep us posted.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

I guess the reason it seems to stand out as so strange is that, even amidst all my other symptoms, never before have I experienced anything remotely like this. Prior to diagnosis, it was all GI related. I've never had a migraine before in my life before last night...

Join eNewsletter

I guess the reason it seems to stand out as so strange is that, even amidst all my other symptoms, never before have I experienced anything remotely like this. Prior to diagnosis, it was all GI related. I've never had a migraine before in my life before last night...

Well, just remember eventually it will go away, and if your lucky you will still be sane afterwards ;)

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

Join eNewsletter

Hey there,

I am recently diagnosed with celiac disease, and have been gluten-free for five days. Overall, I have been feeling an amazing improvement - all but for last night when I experienced what can only be described as a migraine aura, without the head pain (okay, so there was a little pain). I couldn't read or write coherently; was seeing weird, "spots" of light which partially obscured my vision, and, later on, my mouth started "buzzing" and tingling. I was terrified. The thing is, I have never before experienced problems with migraines - or even any neurological symptoms such as those described. Is it common,for these to suddenly arise due to the *elimination* of gluten??

Curious...

I get auras without the headache and headache without the aura. I'm less freaked out when they happen because now I know that both are migraine symptoms. I get migraines on day 2 of my period (so this may be related to my hormones and not celiac) and when I travel or get glutened. I take a med called Zomig when I get the migraine and it is brilliant at helping me become functional again (although it's expensive about $16 a pill so I work hard at not getting glutened).

Join eNewsletter

I get auras without the headache and headache without the aura. I'm less freaked out when they happen because now I know that both are migraine symptoms. I get migraines on day 2 of my period (so this may be related to my hormones and not celiac) and when I travel or get glutened. I take a med called Zomig when I get the migraine and it is brilliant at helping me become functional again (although it's expensive about $16 a pill so I work hard at not getting glutened).

Thank-you; I will definitely look into this! Why do you think it is that you get them when you travel? I will be travelling to the UK in April, so any recommendations for preventative meds would be gratefully received...

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter