Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

star star

How Long Did It Take For You To Notice A Difference On The Gluten-free Diet?

How long until your symptoms began to improve?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How long?

• Within one week
    • Within two weeks
    • Within three weeks

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A6):
      Celiac.com Sponsor (A6):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A6):

Within four weeks
    • Within five weeks
    • Within six weeks
    • Within seven weeks
    • Within eight weeks +

I don't know if I should give up yet. My celiac panel was normal. My only symptom is chronic fatigue. An ELISA food intolerance IGG test said I was intolerant of wheat and gluten (among many other things). I've been on the gluten-free diet for three weeks (four - but I'm not counting the first week because I made some mistakes). It hasn't made any difference at all, so far. When to give up?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My Celiac tests were negative too, but I had such a radical improvement in some of my symptoms that being gluten-free spoke for itself.

The problems that resolved first were gut related. Other things are taking longer. I dropped gluten, dairy, most carbs and most sugar.

Whilst I would not consider myself to have Chronic Fatigue, excessive fatigue has certainly been a big factor in most of my adult life - since I was 15. I kind of thought well, if I am going to do this I might as well go the whole hog and do it properly.

I am intolerant of both gluten and dairy, and my body has never been able to process carbs and sugars properly, hence my descent into diabetes 10 years ago and excess weight I have also been carrying around since my first pregnancy 30 years ago.

Over the 4 weeks my body has been undergoing radical changes - my liver and other organs have been detoxifying and off-loading toxins and crud that has been accumulated over the last 50 years. Going through this can often make us feel worse before we start to feel better.

I am finding other things now too that my body is reacting to. It's like it has become extra sensitive and is now saying - no, I don't want this rubbish any more! On top of the gluten and dairy I am intolerant of yeast, baking powder (cream of tartar, I think although the soda leaves a nasty taste in my mouth too!), so that puts the kybosh on a lot of baked goods (which is probably a good thing as I am also fighting to get Candida under control!), soya and a few other things I haven't quite pinned down yet.

I have some friends who are suffering with CF - really quite disabling in some cases and I am really trying to persuade them to at least give it a good go. With something like that I would not expect to really see anything radical but hopefully a gradual improvement. My friend with CF who is bedridden said that the first thing she has noticed is a reduction in the relentless headaches so that is a good thing, but she has only been on it for 2 weeks so it is still early days yet.

Don't assume, just because you are not yet feeling better that it is not the gluten that is the problem. It may be that there are other factors and foods that are restricting the benefit of the gluten-free diet. It could be anything - dairy, corn, soy, diet soda or coke, gluten in make-up - even toothpaste! Sometimes it is easier to do the Elimination Diet for 2 weeks or so just to clear any antagonists out of the system and start with a 'clean slate', introducing other foods gradually one at a time.

I hope you manage to work out what is hindering your recovery and start to get some respite.

Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

Join eNewsletter

I don't know if I should give up yet. My celiac panel was normal. My only symptom is chronic fatigue. An ELISA food intolerance IGG test said I was intolerant of wheat and gluten (among many other things). I've been on the gluten-free diet for three weeks (four - but I'm not counting the first week because I made some mistakes). It hasn't made any difference at all, so far. When to give up?

Please don't give up yet. For me it took 6 weeks to really start noticing more energy again. I remember reading somewhere (I read everything I can on Celiac, gluten intolerance etc.) that you should give it a least a 2 month try especially since when your new you make alot of little mistakes (some you may not know about) and that can set you back again. Hang in there!

Kathy

Gluten free 3/08

Negative blood work/positive endoscopy

Fructose Malabsorption

Soy free

Join eNewsletter

I have been gluten free for 4 weeks and I am looking better, but not always feeling better. The dark cirlces under my eyes are getting better and I have more colour in my skin. I still suffer with bouts of diarhea and stomach cramps. I am very careful with the gluten so I am thinking there has to be something else. Corn perhaps? How long did it take to get the bowls under control. I am getting discouraged.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter