Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kbtoyssni

Chemical Free Dry Cleaning?

Does anyone know of a way I can get a jacket dry cleaned without all the chemicals? I have this suit jacket that I wore a lot this winter to judge gymnastics meets. Now that the gymnastics season is over I figure I should get it cleaned. Of course it's dry clean only (probably should have checked that before I bought it! but nearly every jacket is dry clean anyway). I don't want to do traditional dry cleaning because of all the chemicals, but I'm not sure if there's some new chemical-free dry cleaning process out there or if there's a way I can wash it at home without ruining the look of it.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I hace been really lucky washing the wool ones in cold water with a mild soap and then air drying them on a hanger and then pressing them while still damp. So far no disasters, but I wouldn't do it too often.

I bet you can do it with most fabrics.

Good luck!

Join eNewsletter

I think dry cleaning by definition is petroleum based rather than water based.

Look at the fabric content. I have washed things in cold water without anything going wrong, but it does depend on the fabric.

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

Join eNewsletter

You can get soaps for cleaning wool at a yarn shop. They might have suggestions for other fibers as well. Or check with a fabric store.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Join eNewsletter

You can try to get it "wet cleaned" from a dry cleaner using carbon dioxide rather than perc. Call a few and see if they do it - just make sure they get any smells out since its not as effective as the other kind:P

Join eNewsletter

I suppose it really depends on why it is to be dry cleaned. Sometimes the item is not color fast and if you were to wash it, the colors would run. Sometimes it might shrink or stretch if washed.

If there are spots, you could try lightly cleaning them with cold water and baby shampoo. You might also try doing this under the arms. And it wouldn't hurt to put it in the dryer on "fluff" or "air" if you have such a setting. I don't.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter