Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MELINE

Gluten By Accident. Starting From Zero?

Hello. There was a bad information from my doctor, who allowed me to eat dinkel (spelt) bread which finally proved to be non gluten-free. After 3 days of eating it, all the symptoms came back. Just wanted to ask. If someone does accidentaly eat gluten, then he starts the healing period from zero point? Maybe it depends on the amount? To tell you the truth it only took me 2 days to stop feeling exhausted, and the headache disappeared in only few hours so I hope it is like it never happened? or it is not??

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

kahleespehrah

For me it depends on the type of accident I eating or inhaling or degree of cross contamination.

I think it also depends on how far you are from the starting point and how much you have healed.

For me its been almost 2 years and if I have an accident now, it can take 2 days to a week to feel normal again.

A year ago it could take 3 weeks.

Ken

Hello. There was a bad information from my doctor, who allowed me to eat dinkel (spelt) bread which finally proved to be non gluten-free. After 3 days of eating it, all the symptoms came back. Just wanted to ask. If someone does accidentaly eat gluten, then he starts the healing period from zero point? Maybe it depends on the amount? To tell you the truth it only took me 2 days to stop feeling exhausted, and the headache disappeared in only few hours so I hope it is like it never happened? or it is not??

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

kahleespehrah

For me it depends on the type of accident I eating or inhaling or degree of cross contamination.

I think it also depends on how far you are from the starting point and how much you have healed.

For me its been almost 2 years and if I have an accident now, it can take 2 days to a week to feel normal again.

A year ago it could take 3 weeks.

Ken

Kalispera to you too!!!

I see...so it is not a rule that you start all over again! It only took me 2 days after eating a good amount of non gluten-free bread, so I guess I don't have to worry so much. thanx for the information ken.

Meline

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

I think it just takes time to get to know how your body changed from celiac. I'm still learning after 2 years after 55 years of no trouble with anything.

Some of us on the forum are trying to develop the perfect gluten free pylo. Do they have any gluten free foods in Greece?

Take care

ken

Kalispera to you too!!!

I see...so it is not a rule that you start all over again! It only took me 2 days after eating a good amount of non gluten-free bread, so I guess I don't have to worry so much. thanx for the information ken.

Meline

Japanese proverb

Join eNewsletter

I think it just takes time to get to know how your body changed from celiac. I'm still learning after 2 years after 55 years of no trouble with anything.

Some of us on the forum are trying to develop the perfect gluten free pylo. Do they have any gluten free foods in Greece?

Take care

ken

They actually have, even though people are not aware of celiac. I read on the net that in Greece there is only 1 in 11. 000 people with celiac.....Can it be true?? The same article mentioned 1 in 300 people for Ireland.....Any way!!! I found pasta and bread and cookies and many many things, but unfortunatelly I can't eat them because I also have problems with sugar and lactose and several other foods. But I really don't care. I am so happy with my new non-exhausted self that anything else is tiny little detail. My friends and my family keep telling me they feel so sorry about me not beeing able to eat so many things and I am just wondering why do they pitty me??? Celiac is not such a big deal after all. It just needs some attention. I really never want to taste bread again if it is to feel again that pain in my head and in my stomach and that awfull feeling that I am going to collapse if I make one more step......

as far as pylo is concerned....oups.....I don't know the meaning of that word.....I am going to look it up...But I hope you can make it (whatever it is, I guess it will be a nice surprise..)

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

couldn't find the word pylo....I still don' know the meaning...

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

I think what Ken meant was the paleo diet--after the ancient Paleolithic Hunter Gatherers (i.e. who ate a non-grain diet like everyone did before 15,000 years ago). It means mostly vegetables including roots and squash, some meat, nuts and seeds (soaked and sprouted best), some fruit and if you can handle it sometimes some honey. To branch out you can add some ancient grains--amaranth, teff, quinoa and maybe some rice and corn. But even there it shouldn't be the main part of the diet.

Maybe you had some stray barbarian from the north as one of your ancestors or heaven forbid an Italian. It was the northern Europeans that mostly developed the celiac reaction to gluten. Without it you should be less likely to get degenerative diseases since gluten actually isn't that digestible by anyone--which eventually can makes the body break down more easily.

Yolo

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

Join eNewsletter

I must be spelling it wrong, the wrap for spanakotiropita phylo or filo?

Its great you have such a good attitude towards celiac.

Sure it is natural to miss to eat some foods but there are new ones to explore for, find and enjoy.

I work a lot of figs I think you call seko. The best in the world are from Greece.

Like you I do not miss to have bread at all. But somethings like spanakopita I would like to make again.

take care

Japanese proverb

Join eNewsletter

I think what Ken meant was the paleo diet--after the ancient Paleolithic Hunter Gatherers (i.e. who ate a non-grain diet like everyone did before 15,000 years ago). It means mostly vegetables including roots and squash, some meat, nuts and seeds (soaked and sprouted best), some fruit and if you can handle it sometimes some honey. To branch out you can add some ancient grains--amaranth, teff, quinoa and maybe some rice and corn. But even there it shouldn't be the main part of the diet.

Maybe you had some stray barbarian from the north as one of your ancestors or heaven forbid an Italian. It was the northern Europeans that mostly developed the celiac reaction to gluten. Without it you should be less likely to get degenerative diseases since gluten actually isn't that digestible by anyone--which eventually can makes the body break down more easily.

Yolo

Hi yolo! That's a pretty clever version of what Ken may wanted to say, but as you can see in his post finally he meant smth else.....as far as northern europe and celiac is concerned guess you are right...

KEEEEEEEEEEN please do try to find out the best way to make gluten free pheelo for spanakopitaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. That's a food I am missing!!!! My mother is going to try it this weekend but I don't know the results.....And about seeko - figs oups....Allergy for me there....But you are right! really tasty in greece

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

Hi Meline,

What will your mother use to make the spankopita?

I hope she can make a good recipe. My son is a chef here in Hawaii but his first cooking lessons when he was very young were at a Greek church during a festival in Chicago. Growing up in Chicago your countries culture was everywhere and when I trained as a chef in Japan, my teacher asked me to make Greek foods for him since he never tried them.

It's too bad you cannot have seeko. I am lucky I only have celiac and no other troubles.

Can you eat other fruits?

Yolo helped me a lot with information about her diet and information on vitamins and herbs.

adio

ken

Hi yolo! That's a prettycelver version of what Ken may wanted to say, but as you can see in his post finally he meant smth else.....as far as northern europe and celiac is concerned guess you are right...

KEEEEEEEEEEN please do try to find out the best way to make gluten free pheelo for spanakopitaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. That's a food I am missing!!!! My mother is going to try it this weekend but I don't know the results.....And about seeko - figs oups....Allergy for me there....But you are right! really tasty in greece

Japanese proverb

Join eNewsletter

Hi Meline,

What will your mother use to make the spankopita?

I hope she can make a good recipe. My son is a chef here in Hawaii but his first cooking lessons when he was very young were at a Greek church during a festival in Chicago. Growing up in Chicago your countries culture was everywhere and when I trained as a chef in Japan, my teacher asked me to make Greek foods for him since he never tried them.

It's too bad you cannot have seeko. I am lucky I only have celiac and no other troubles.

Can you eat other fruits?

Yolo helped me a lot with information about her diet and information on vitamins and herbs.

adio

ken

Kalimera ken

Unfortunately she is going to use only riceflour and oil because at least for the next 6 months I am not allowed to eat anything else that people use to make pheelo for spanakopita. (As far as I know she also uses ouzo, but guess what...allergy in ouzo....)

I can eat bananas and mantarinia (I don' t know the translation....they look like little oranges), and appricots and apples and that's all for fruits....Unfortunatelly extremely limited choises in food.....any way.....It's ok...no big deal.

Interesting...You are a chef and you had a training in Japan....and you live in Hawai....All these places are so exotic to me!! You must have had a nice travelling experience in Japan...Didn't know that in Chicago there are many Greeks....Any way....If you need any recipe for greek food please feal free to ask. (not a gluten-free one, cause I found out that I had to exclude gluten for a life time just last week so my mother did not have time to come up with solutions....And here in Greece only 1 in 11.000 people are celiac - I read yesterday that it is the lowest rate in Europe-so there are no gluten-free products to use in foods...)

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

Hi Meline

I think at one time Chicago had more Greeks than anyplace outside of Athens!

ITs too bad you have so many allergies now but maybe some will clear up. We can never stop the celiac but

maybe some of the others. It's too bad about Ouzo. Here no stores sell retsina so I have to order it.

I think mantarinia must be mandarin or tangerine, smaller than orange.

Hawaii and Japan are both similar to Greece in that they are surrounded by ocean and many of the foods come from the sea.

To me Greece is a place I always plan to travel. I've been to so many countries around the world but never to yours.

I hope someday to visit. Maybe when I am in Italy working this summer.

I have to leave for the airport in a few minutes,

take care

ken

Kalimera ken

Unfortunately she is going to use only riceflour and oil because at least for the next 6 months I am not allowed to eat anything else that people use to make pheelo for spanakopita. (As far as I know she also uses ouzo, but guess what...allergy in ouzo....)

I can eat bananas and mantarinia (I don' t know the translation....they look like little oranges), and appricots and apples and that's all for fruits....Unfortunatelly extremely limited choises in food.....any way.....It's ok...no big deal.

Interesting...You are a chef and you had a training in Japan....and you live in Hawai....All these places are so exotic to me!! You must have had a nice travelling experience in Japan...Didn't know that in Chicago there are many Greeks....Any way....If you need any recipe for greek food please feal free to ask. (not a gluten-free one, cause I found out that I had to exclude gluten for a life time just last week so my mother did not have time to come up with solutions....And here in Greece only 1 in 11.000 people are celiac - I read yesterday that it is the lowest rate in Europe-so there are no gluten-free products to use in foods...)

Japanese proverb

Join eNewsletter

Hi Meline

I think at one time Chicago had more Greeks than anyplace outside of Athens!

ITs too bad you have so many allergies now but maybe some will clear up. We can never stop the celiac but

maybe some of the others. It's too bad about Ouzo. Here no stores sell retsina so I have to order it.

I think mantarinia must be mandarin or tangerine, smaller than orange.

Hawaii and Japan are both similar to Greece in that they are surrounded by ocean and many of the foods come from the sea.

To me Greece is a place I always plan to travel. I've been to so many countries around the world but never to yours.

I hope someday to visit. Maybe when I am in Italy working this summer.

I have to leave for the airport in a few minutes,

take care

ken

Have a nice flight Ken!!!

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter