Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my3apsons

Celiac Bloodwork Negative

Ds's bloodwork was negative except for the gene testing, I don't have those so I'm not sure what that is. His other bloodwork suggests borderline anemia, as well as borderline malabsortion. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I know the diet isn't harming him but maybe that isn't what is helping. The doctor doesn't see a need to scope him and I'm confused by that. A child with constipation so bad that they are considering admitting him to clear it, is now cleared with diet and medication, should be scoped for at least other issues.

Hemoglobin 11.6 Range 11.5 - 14.5

Hematocrit 33.5 Range 33.0 - 45.0

Neutorphils 66 ( high) Range 38-58

Lymphs 26 (low) Range 28-48

Glucose 139 (high) 65-99

Ceratinine Serum 0.6 Range 0.5 - 1.5

Potassium Serum 4.0 Range 3.5 - 5.5

Protein Serum 6.5 Range 6.0- 8.5

Immunoglobulin A/E/G/M Serums

All well within normal range

Antigliadin IgA 1

Ig G 2

TtG IgA 1

All allergy testing within normal limits

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You said he was on the diet already? How long? The absence of gluten can greatly affect the tests, not to mention that testing in children is very inaccurate.

If he is improving on the diet, stick with it. I think sometimes we need to feel validated (I went through this with myself) when we take our health into our own hands and see an improvement, yet medical professionals are telling us that there's nothing wrong. Especially when it's something as seemingly drastic as eliminating a prevalent food from our diet. Being gluten-free can be a difficult road, and unvalidated we sometimes doubt ourselves. BUT, your validation is in the dietary response.

Trust your instincts, they are usually right. ;)

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Join eNewsletter

He didn't go gluten free till after the bloodwork.

I know part of it is wanting medical proof something is wrong. I guess that's just being silly and I know this. I can get proof by seeing what works and not be bloodwork alone.

Ds' is almost 8 and continues to lose weight, however now he's eating more.

Join eNewsletter

Hi there!

To sum up... your son is borderline anemic, borderline malabsorption, severe constipation that resolved on a gluten-free diet, AND he tested positive for at least one Celiac gene.

The chances that he has Celiac are almost 100%, regardless of what the blood test reported.

You are also right in thinking that a scope should have been done regardless of the blood test result. There are a LOT of people here who had negative blood tests, and positive biopsies.

However, at this point an endoscopy wouldn't be helpful in diagnosing Celiac, since he has already gone gluten-free. If you want it done to look for other things, push for it.

But I feel strongly that you already have your answer. Keep him on the gluten-free diet! Some issues, like weight gain, take time.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter