Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scott_in_pa

Just Had My Endoscopy Today...confirmed My Celiac

Hello everyone,

I just had my endoscopy this afternoon which confirmed my Celiac (had tested a "strong positive" on my bloodwork from about 3 wks ago). The results revealed Duodenitis with ulcerations (lots); evidence of scalloping og mucosa as well. They took multiple biopsies, too, but those results won't be back for about 2 wks. My question is...what comes next? Should I contact my G.I. offices and ask to meet with the dietician? Or just dive right into Gluten-free eating? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Scott-in-PA

Diagnosed March 2008

Gluten free since March 20, 2008

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'd start the gluten free diet! Good luck! Ask lots of questions here on this site...it's the best around!

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Join eNewsletter

Hello everyone,

I just had my endoscopy this afternoon which confirmed my Celiac (had tested a "strong positive" on my bloodwork from about 3 wks ago). The results revealed Duodenitis with ulcerations (lots); evidence of scalloping og mucosa as well. They took multiple biopsies, too, but those results won't be back for about 2 wks. My question is...what comes next? Should I contact my G.I. offices and ask to meet with the dietician? Or just dive right into Gluten-free eating? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Scott-in-PA

Welcome to the Club Scott!

Most of the information regarding the gluten free diet can be found here. With your biopsy concluded, you can begin the diet immediately.

I would recommend a good metabolic panel to see if you are deficient in vitamins and minerals and go from there. Start the diet simply. Meat, seafood, rice potatoes, fresh veggies and fruit prepared simply is a good start. You can add things as you master the diet. A new toaster is a must as is older wooden spoons and scratched non-stick pans which would hold gluten from your pre-dx'd time.

The diet is fairly complex overall. Learning to read labels is the only way to be safe and cross contamination is a common trap. Reading here is the best information you can find.

Again, welcome.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Welcome to the Club Scott!

Most of the information regarding the gluten free diet can be found here. With your biopsy concluded, you can begin the diet immediately.

I would recommend a good metabolic panel to see if you are deficient in vitamins and minerals and go from there. Start the diet simply. Meat, seafood, rice potatoes, fresh veggies and fruit prepared simply is a good start. You can add things as you master the diet. A new toaster is a must as is older wooden spoons and scratched non-stick pans which would hold gluten from your pre-dx'd time.

The diet is fairly complex overall. Learning to read labels is the only way to be safe and cross contamination is a common trap. Reading here is the best information you can find.

Again, welcome.

Thanks very much for the advice-- the whole thing is a bit overwhelming. Starting simple is a good idea!

Diagnosed March 2008

Gluten free since March 20, 2008

Join eNewsletter

Hi Scott, Dive in, do not wait. The sooner you start the sooner you can start feeling better. Start by eating whole foods for now, and getting all the "gluten free eating" literature that you can find. There are many, many good ones on this site. Then, get a gluten-free shopping book/bible and go through everything in your cabinets. Clean out anything that is gluteny or possibly cross contaminated (peanut butter, etc. that might have bread crumbs in it for example) I gave all my gluten stuff to the food pantry, so a clean out and a good deed at the same time.

I highly suggest that if you have a spouse or sig. other that they consider going mostly gluten-free as well. The risk of cross contamination is really high when you have gluten products in your home. If they are not ok with going gluten-free, then designate a gluten cabinet for their stuff and a section of the counter for them, the rest must be gluten-free. Also, designate a "gluten" dish sponge or cloth and one for yourself, and ne'er the 2 shall meet. Please follow Ma Goose's advice to change out your glutened cooking stuff, it really does help!

Next, try to go as "whole food" as you can. Your crock pot should be your best friend at this point. Processed foods are hard enough to digest, so especially in the beginning, you want to be as gentle with yourself as you can.. Also, no more buying anything from those bulk bins or open bars.. all it takes is one careless person dipping the wrong sccop or spoon into a gluten-free product to xcontam it.

The hardest bit? remembering to double check every little thing that goes into or gets near your mouth. This includes gum, lip balm,lotion,mints, etc. Good luck and congrats on your diagnosis!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter