Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody know where I could find gluten-free oat matzah?

I can't imagine not having something to use at the seder, but I also don't want to eat something that might sicken me. I'm an Orthodox Ashkenazi Jew, so it needs to be 100% kosher for Passover, and I don't eat rice or corn during Passover.

Ruth, single mom to DD1, 14, DD2, 113, and DS, 7

Kosher, low carb (since 6/3/07), gluten free (since 11/15/07), dairy free, mostly legume (incl. soy) free since 2/7/08. Now on the Blood Type Diet (type O) which includes cutting out corn as well. I have fibromyalgia and this diet is helping me feel better.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Are you aware that most oats contain gluten? I don't know what to say, as I'm trying to figure this one out myself...but I can have rice. So I'll bring rice crackers, but there are CC problems, etc.

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Join eNewsletter

These are made from gluten-free oats:

http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/2008/03/...-oat-matzo.html

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

Are you aware that most oats contain gluten? I don't know what to say, as I'm trying to figure this one out myself...but I can have rice. So I'll bring rice crackers, but there are CC problems, etc.

Rice crackers are a problem for me, religiously, on Passover. I would not allow any guests to bring rice products into my kosher-for-Passover kitchen.

Thanks for the link!

My other option is to try spelt matza. I know it's not gluten free, but it's lower in gluten than wheat and maybe I could tolerate it for one week a year. Or maybe it will make me very sick and I'll feel lousy for all of Passover. :(

Kosher, low carb (since 6/3/07), gluten free (since 11/15/07), dairy free, mostly legume (incl. soy) free since 2/7/08. Now on the Blood Type Diet (type O) which includes cutting out corn as well. I have fibromyalgia and this diet is helping me feel better.

Join eNewsletter

My other option is to try spelt matza. I know it's not gluten free, but it's lower in gluten than wheat and maybe I could tolerate it for one week a year. Or maybe it will make me very sick and I'll feel lousy for all of Passover. :(

Spelt is not a good option for someone following a gluten-free diet. I hope you can use the gluten-free oat ones instead.

Be careful out there.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

Ok, a friend of mine who lives close by was doing shopping in one of the "kosher stores" about a 40 minute drive away, and she was able to pick up the gluten-free oat matza for me. :) It cost $30 for a one pound box, so I'm just getting the one box this year; I'll still get the cheaper matzah for other family members so the oat matzah won't get used up quite as fast.

Had it been cheaper, I would have gotten enough oat matzah for everybody and kept the house 100% gluten-free for Pesach. I'm definitely not planning to do any cooking with matzah of any kind, but I won't limit the kids if they want matzah with butter, cream cheese, and/or jelly.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter