Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

missnbagels

Tortillas

Has anyone found tortillas that they liked? I miss soft tortillas, the recipe i have is okay but it is hard. it's only good for quesedillas.

I would like to make Apple Enchaladas but i need soft tortillas for it

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Mission makes white corn tortillas "Restaurant Style" which are gluten-free. However in my grocery store, I've only been able to find the small sized ones and not the full-sized ones-- at any rate, they're pretty soft-- close to the traditional flour based tortillas. I was surprised to see this "mainstream" food list itself boldly as "GLUTEN FREE".

They have a webpage missionfoods.com

Hope this helps,

Scott_in_PA

Diagnosed March 2008

Gluten free since March 20, 2008

Join eNewsletter

I learned to make tortillas from my host family in Costa Rica- it's pretty easy. The only ingredients are masa (corn flour, you can get it in the international section of grocery stores or health food stores) and water. You mix the two until the consistensy is right- you should be able to form it easily into a ball, but have it retain its shape. Take a ball about the size of a ping pong ball and flatten it slightly. Put it on top of a large piece of plastic (an empty masa bag works well, cut it so it's flat) and place it in the middle. Now here's the tricky part- use your index, middle and ring fingers to tap on and flatten the tortilla as you rotate the plastic so it's even on all sides. If the edges tear, use your finger to fix them. Of course, you could always use a rolling pin to do this too. Once you get it flat enough (it won't be as flat as a normal flour tortilla) put in a hot ungreased skillet and cook it until both sides are lightly browned.

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

I get Mission White Corn Tortillas (they also have white corn taco shells). On the back of both items they say gluten free.

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Join eNewsletter

I learned to make tortillas from my host family in Costa Rica- it's pretty easy. The only ingredients are masa (corn flour, you can get it in the international section of grocery stores or health food stores) and water.

Maybe it's because I'm in San Diego, but I can buy masa at WalMart. B) However, they don't carry the white corn tortillas :blink: so I have to go elsewhere for those.

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

Join eNewsletter

Has anyone found tortillas that they liked? I miss soft tortillas, the recipe i have is okay but it is hard. it's only good for quesedillas.

I would like to make Apple Enchaladas but i need soft tortillas for it

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

This is in my to try file:

Gluten Free Tortillas

25g/1oz-gram (chickpea) flour

100g/4oz-cornflour

2-tbsp tapioca flour

Join eNewsletter

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Join eNewsletter

Here's a recipe I found, and the first try I made w my alterations in parenthesis (was a half recipe). I tried it again recently using only corn meal, corn starch, potato flour and potato starch, and olive oil. It wasnt perfect, but it still worked. As long as there's 1 c flours and 1 c starches it seems good.

Also, I found that if i formed balls of dough and stored in the fridge for a day, it was easier to handle. The tortillas can also be frozen.

1-cup white rice flour (1/2 c millet flour, except 1 tb of sorghum in

it)

1/3-cup potato starch

1/3-cup tapioca flour

1/3-cup fava bean flour (I used potato starch flour, corn starch and

garfava, about 1/3 each filling up a 1/2 cup measure)

(I added a sprinkling of flax meal)

2-tsp xanthan gum (1 tsp)

1-tsp baking powder (1/2 tsp)

1/2-tsp sugar (1/4 tsp)

1 1/4-tsp salt (1/4 tsp and that was plenty for me)

2-tbsp vegetable or other shortening (1 TB)

3/4 to 1-cup warm water (something less than 1/2 c)

*Combine all of the dry ingredients, then cut in the shortening using a

pastry blender

*Add the warm water, starting with 3/4 cup and mix well

*Continue to add water until a soft, cohesive dough is formed

*Heat a griddle to medium heat

*Form a ball of dough into a flattened disk, cupping the outside edges a

bit to form a round

*Using a rolling pin, roll into a round disk about 1/8 inch thick and

about 8 inches in diameter or to your preference

*Bake one at a time on a hot griddle until the surface bubbles

*Turn only once, the first side should have brown flecks

*Bake until the second side has slightly browned - should brown in a very

short time

*Keep warm in a tortilla keeper or wrapped in a cloth until served

Makes 6 to 8 tortillas (3-4).

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter