Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blackbeltmom

Lymphoma And Celiac

About four years ago my mother passed away from Lymphoma, It was very fast, less than one year. I know that she had had more than 50 polyps removed from her colon over the course of a few years. She aslo seemed to have many problems with her stomach bloating even when she did not eat much. Is it possible that she had Celiac's Desease and no one knew it? I have been complaining of problems for years, and was just diagnosed this past week. Should all my sisters and my son be tested?

Thank you for any help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, unfortunately it is quite possible she was and was never diagnosed or that she was diagnosed in childhood and was thought to 'outgrow' it. This was common thinking for quite a bit.

You should have all first degree relatives tested, your sisters and brothers, father, sons and daughter etc. It is just a blood test to screen so you do need to remember that blood tests miss up to 30% of us, including those at the end stages. Folks that have what could be celiac related disorders, a list can be found on the home page here, should be encouraged to try the diet no matter what the test results.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Well, it is certainly a possibility. Most celiacs have a family history of the disease. Unfortunately there is just not enough awareness about celiac disease and it is extremely under diagnosed. Even today many people do not get diagnosed until the disease manifests itself as cancer. I was diagnosed a while ago and am in the process of trying to convince my mum and brother to get tested, I think it would be a really good idea for your sisters to also get tested.

I'm really sorry to hear about your mother.

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

condolences on your mother's death

my mom also died 4 yrs ago of lymphoma - the tumors were on her adrenal glands - like your mom, very quick (less than 2 months from first related dr visit to death)

dr's said "don't worry, nothing she had was hereditary" ('spots' on lung, abnormal brain scan in addition to cancer).

now, looking back, I'm convinced she had celiac. 2 of my cousins (her nieces) have celiac. my mom's twin (one of her daughters is one of my celiac cousins) is convinced she reacts to "potassium sorbate", but we all think it's gluten

so I would definitely get the blood tests done for your sister & your offspring.

also (after the bloodtest), even if the blood test is normal, encourage them to *try* a gluten-free diet for a few weeks to see if they have a dietary reaction.

My bloodtests were "normal" but my dietary reaction is strong and given actual & apparent family history, I am steering clear of gluten! I feel so awful when I get glutened (and so much better gluten-free) that I am very motivated to avoid it.

gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007

3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)

suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies

Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."