Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Melissa312

Cleaning My Kitchen And House

So I am waiting on biopsy results and bloodwork, but I am fairly sure now that I need to be gluten free. I realize now that many of the health problems I have had (fatigue, nausea, splotchy skin, etc.) have probably been caused by my intolerence all along. I started eating gluten free the day after my doctors appointment but now I am reading more and more about cross contamination within the home.

My question is what lengths do I need to go to in order to get rid of gluten in my kitchen? Is there a certain type of cleaner or process that will ensure I get it all? I didn't know if sanitizing with alcohol/bleach/some other cleaner will help to get rid of the gluten molecules I cannot see. Any advice or words or wisdom?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Since gluten is not a virus or bacteria, disinfecting agents like bleach or alcohol will do nothing to get rid of it. Just old fashioned scrubbing with soap of some kind is the only way to clean it off. It is very sticky (they make industrial strength glue with it) and you need to clean well.

Also, you need to replace your toaster (you absolutely cannot get it clean enough to be safe) as well as plastic colanders that have been used for wheat pasta, wooden cooking spoons and wooden cutting boards. Scratched non-stick pots and pans need replacing, as do scratched plastic containers. You can't get the gluten out of crevices.

It is also advisable to replace all gluten-containing personal care products (shampoo, conditioner, lipstick, soap, lotion etc.) with gluten-free ones. Look for things like wheat germ oil, barley extract and oat bran.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fear I am in for a monumentous cleaning of my kitchen as well. I am looking around at all of the wooden spoons, spatulas, mixing bowls, silverware container, tupperware, etc, and I am overwhelmed! I am going to have to take a day really soon & gut my kitchen of all my old utensils. Bright side is that we get new kitchen toys I guess!

Dairy Free since 1997

Gluten Free Oct 2010