Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kritter

Diarrhea

Hello! Can any of the more experienced members help me with a vexing question? I have diarrhea worse now than I ever did before going gluten-free. I've been g.f. for 2 months, and in general I feel a lot better except for the increased, and worsening diarrhea. In addition to avoiding gluten, I do not eat soy, dairy, nightshades, sugar, citrus, or artificial sweeteners. I'm really, really careful not to get cross-contaminated. What gives? At first I thought it was just due to diet change - but it's been two months and it's getting worse instead of better. (Seems to be worse when my carb intake is higher, too - even though all my carbs are g.f.)

Thanks to anyone who can help!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This happened to me also. I felt better for a few weeks after going gluten-free, but then the D came back with a vengance.

I see you've already cut out some other foods--others that gave me trouble in the beginning were legumes and grains in general. I cut out all grains for about a year. Tapioca is in a lot of gluten-free baked products and mixes and it can cause problems for some--I still can't tolerate it after almost 3 years.

Another thing to think about is SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). I felt much better after taking 2 courses of antibiotics last summer--you can check with your GI, there is a breath test you can take.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon! :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Yeah, happened to me too, only it was around six months after going gluten-free. It also lasted about six months too.

I've read that insoluble fiber can induce D if you get too much. Slightly green bananas might help, though if the body wants to purge itself, I'd say let it do what it needs to do.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Something I meant to add--I take 1200 mg. of Caltrate with vitamin D daily--600 each with breakfast and dinner.

The calcium carbonate is not absorbed as well by the body as other types of calcium. The calcium that is not absorbed travels through the intestine and the side effect is constipation.

Even after I cut out all the foods I'm sensitive to, I was still prone to D, and this works like a charm for me.

Patti

Jersygirl and RiceGuy,

Well, at least I'm not alone in this symptom. Someone told me to just go off the gluten-free diet and I would get back to normal - but I don't believe that. That seems like bad, uniformed advise. What do you think? They reasoned that since the D wasn't so bad before I went G.F. - it would get better if I quit. Although - so many things have improved for me. My breathing, for one! And my mood, and my sleep and oh, the list goes on.

Can you clarify something for me? Are you saying that taking Calcium carbonate (which would tend to constipate a person) would work to control the big D to some extent? So you are advocating Calcium carbonate over some other types of calcium in my case?

What about magnesium? I've been taking it with my calcium. But I've heard it can cause "loose stools" if you get too much. I wonder if cutting down on the magnesium would be helpful? Ever heard of that?

Kristin

What about magnesium? I've been taking it with my calcium. But I've heard it can cause "loose stools" if you get too much. I wonder if cutting down on the magnesium would be helpful? Ever heard of that?

Kristin

Ah, that might explain it. Yes, magnesium can get your digestive system moving too much if you take excessive magnesium. It just depends on how much you're taking, and of course how much you need. Calcium can work to offset the absorption of magnesium.

Here's another article you may find interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistant_starch

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Jersygirl and RiceGuy,

Well, at least I'm not alone in this symptom. Someone told me to just go off the gluten-free diet and I would get back to normal - but I don't believe that. That seems like bad, uniformed advise. What do you think? They reasoned that since the D wasn't so bad before I went G.F. - it would get better if I quit. Although - so many things have improved for me. My breathing, for one! And my mood, and my sleep and oh, the list goes on.

Can you clarify something for me? Are you saying that taking Calcium carbonate (which would tend to constipate a person) would work to control the big D to some extent? So you are advocating Calcium carbonate over some other types of calcium in my case?

Kristin

About going off the gluten-free diet--I'm assuming that you are Celiac or gluten intolerant. If this is the case, returning gluten to your diet will cause serious health consequences. Please, do not take the advice of the person who suggested that!

It sounds like a lot of things have gotten better for you since going gluten-free. This is good news, and confirmation that the diet is working. The residual D does not mean that the diet isn't working--it just means that now that the biggest stressor is removed (gluten), other intolerances can better make themselves known.

As regards the calcium questions--yes, in my case the calcium carbonate has completely stopped my D. (I am still very careful with my diet and CC issues) The carbonate form works best for this since it is the worst absorbed form of the mineral, as I said. Other forms of calcium are better absorbed, but that means that there is less left in the digestive tract.

I have to admit that I take Caltrate for controlling D--supplimenting is secondary to me. This is why I don't take magnesium or a calcium suppliment containing it. For me, magnesium causes loose stools and D, so I avoid it. I do make sure to eat magnesium rich foods.

You may want to cut down on the dosage of magnesium that you are taking. Maybe do a week-long trial of the Caltrate and skip the magnesium. If this is going to work for you, it will do so pretty quickly. If not, the calcium isn't going to hurt you.

Patti

RiceGuy,

I found that article helpful - thanks so much!

On the magnesium topic, do you suppose that it's possible that the amount of magnesium I was taking before I went g.f.(which I haven't adjusted at all in years) is all of the sudden is a bit too much now that I've been gluten-free for two months?

Kristin

Jerseyangel,

You really are an angel! I'm going to try your advise starting today regarding the calcium and magnesium! Sure can't hurt anything - and hopefully it will help!

Thanks for reinforcing that I'm doing the right thing staying on the diet. I am gluten-intolerant according to my allergist, who refuses to believe that I'm not, even though the tests didn't diagnose Celiac disease per say. I agree with him - gluten is an issue - no matter if I'm technically Celiac or not.

My daughter (who is 13) even voluntarily went g.f. after she saw how good I felt. The other day she ate some graham crackers and later told me she felt really "icky."

Thanks for helping me out today! I love this board - it really helps me physically and mentally!

Kristin

No problem, Kristin :)

Make sure you get the Caltrate 600 with vitamin D--in the pink-labeled package. ;)

Be sure to let us know how you do, and best of luck! :D

Patti

RiceGuy,

I found that article helpful - thanks so much!

On the magnesium topic, do you suppose that it's possible that the amount of magnesium I was taking before I went g.f.(which I haven't adjusted at all in years) is all of the sudden is a bit too much now that I've been gluten-free for two months?

Kristin

That is quite possible, since intestinal healing is expected, as is better nutrient absorption. So before taking the calcium (which I agree with if you need it), try skipping or reducing the magnesium. From my experience, I'd say about two days should tell you plenty.

Lots of good advice already. I am really aware how long it takes for healing. I am a year gluten-free now but my body is still adjusting and changing. The 1-2 years for healing seems to be true for me for sure.

The magnesium could definitely be absorbing better. I had the big C. I was taking 1600mg of magnesium (4 times the usual recommended) in order to have a bm at first, then had to gradually cut back to half of that. However, my body levels of magnesium are still very very low, so I know that I am not absorbing it well even at this point. I'd try adjusting that and see what happens.

If you still need magnesium, perhaps epsom salts baths would allow you to absorb it through your skin and skip the gut impact.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Everything so far is great advice but I would say, step back and make sure you really are not getting traces of gluten from somewhere.

Quite often we introduce things that can be contaminated ... but perhaps not always...

For example corn chips made on the same lines as flavored ones...

At the time we introduce them we are 'lucky' perhaps the bag we bought is the end of a run ... but then we buy other bags later from the begining, just after the gluten stuff has been through the lines. Or perhaps one plant does natural flavor only and a different plant does natural and flavored...

This is just one example, there are of course lots of places this can happen...(I'm actually just using the one really got me bad) ... but this can happen from the fields through transport and manufacturing etc.

The reason I say this is most of us do get worse symptoms AFTER being gluten-free for a while if we slip up.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)