Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nan2N

How Do You Know If It's Soy?

How would you know if you're sensitive to soy if the only symptoms from celiac are the neurological ones?

Would you get a gluten reaction or would it be strictly in your stomach? I was told that if I was to have a reaction to dairy it would be with an upset stomach but I'm wondering about the soy now. If I get glutened....which I just did by licking an envelope...my head gets fuzzy and I get a headache. Since I haven't really felt that much better after being gluten free for 3 weeks (except for my goof up) I'm wondering about other things.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Different intolerance's can have completely different symptoms. Soy for me, is constipating, as is corn and rice. Gluten used to cause severe diarrhea, now it causes neurological symptoms. Red dye makes me break out. It's all trial and error.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Sorry that you have not been feeling well. Goof-ups can be frequent when you are learning to be gluten free. I wouldn't worry about other issues until you have been 100% gluten free for some time (with the exception to dairy, which is recommended to avoid)

Once you have totally eliminated gluten, then you can hear the voices of other in tolerances IF you have them. Like Deb says, everyone is different.

And, I have not seen any evidence that envelope glue contains gluten. I will have to research that one.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Hi,

I'm starting to think that I'm allergic to soy. I recently stayed for a few days with my brother and his family, they use soy milk that uses barley as a thickener therefore I could not have any for the time I was there. I found that I had much more energy off the soy. Not really sure about neurological vs stomach symptoms, for me it was an energy thing. Try keeping a food/symptoms diary.

Good luck

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

Three weeks off gluten is a really really short time. I wouldn't worry about additional intolerances until you've been gluten free for a while longer, maybe say three months or so. It just plain takes time to heal so you can expect ups and downs in the beginning.

Pauliina