Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mary B

Confused About Soy

:( I was just diagnosed with celiac last week, and frankly, I was very surprised. I truly thought I had IBS, went in to see the doctor, and the bloodwork for celiac came back positive. I had the endoscopy two weeks ago, and the rest is history. I went to see a nutritionist today - a very nice young girl, but I honestly knew as much as she did about celiac. I thought I would come home with recipes and ideas about what products out there taste better. Since I'm a teacher, I am going to take the summer to learn some new recipes - especially for "cream of..." soups so my family can have casseroles again.

Anyway, what's the deal with soy? From what I understand (I think) say sauce is off limits - due to the thickening agent used. However, soy is okay. Is that the case??? Any and all help will be appreciated. Also, I LOVE soy sauce. I use in on my oriental dishes and as a marinade. Is there gluten-free soy sauce out there? That sure would help out a lot.

Again, I'm very new to this and I appreciate your replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

:( I was just diagnosed with celiac last week, and frankly, I was very surprised. I truly thought I had IBS, went in to see the doctor, and the bloodwork for celiac came back positive. I had the endoscopy two weeks ago, and the rest is history. I went to see a nutritionist today - a very nice young girl, but I honestly knew as much as she did about celiac. I thought I would come home with recipes and ideas about what products out there taste better. Since I'm a teacher, I am going to take the summer to learn some new recipes - especially for "cream of..." soups so my family can have casseroles again.

Anyway, what's the deal with soy? From what I understand (I think) say sauce is off limits - due to the thickening agent used. However, soy is okay. Is that the case??? Any and all help will be appreciated. Also, I LOVE soy sauce. I use in on my oriental dishes and as a marinade. Is there gluten-free soy sauce out there? That sure would help out a lot.

Again, I'm very new to this and I appreciate your replies.

Hi,

I use Tamari which is a wheat free soy sauce available at most health food stores. Other soy is fine unless you have an additional allergy, eg. tofu is ok as long as you check with the company about any flavors or additives.

I have had a similar experience with nutritionalists, mostly they aren't very informed.

Good luck going gluten free, its a challenge but you should feel the benefits.

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet books (can't remember which one) have a lot of "cream of" soup recipies. Check your library.

~Laura

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States