This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Controlling Cc In My Kitchen

dbmamaz

aikiducky Apprentice
I guess I dont feel so strongly since i was never dx'd w celiac, just allergy to all gluten-containing grains and sensitivity to gluten.

There's been a lot of good ideas in this thread. But I think what it really boils down to is what you wrote above.

The first person to convince of the importance of being 100% gluten free is yourself. If you really truly start to see gluten as a poison for you, you'll automatically take much less risks with cross contamination and such.

I bet that if you can manage to be really careful for a while, that you would see that your energy levels would really improve, and that it would then be much easier to continue keeping crumbs at bay.

Pauliina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Phyllis28 Apprentice

There wasn't much available that was edible in the way of gluten free pastas when I went gluten free 30 years ago. I simply substituted rice for any sauce (like spagetti or a meat sauce) that is usually poured over pasta.

dbmamaz Explorer
If you are getting where you can eat less & less foods, you are probably getting gluten somewhere - for sure when you are baking with wheat flour - that is a big no no - I am surprised no one said anything about it - I would love to bake for my family also - but I cannot & I will never be able to bake with wheat flour ever - but I make gluten free stuff that is wonderful...

Its not that i can eat less and less foods - i just started by dropping wheat and diary (because I was "dx'd" as "allergic" in infancy (42 years ago) by food challenge. Then I did some testing (allergist and A.L.C.A.T) and reacted to SO many foods, that I decided to start by eating ONLY the foods on my safe list and adding things slowly. I always reacted to all these foods, I just got used to always feeling bad . . . now i'm trying to figure out what foods i really can and cannot tolerate, and i hope that by staying clean for a while, I can start re-introducing foods and do better on them.

In fact, I'm going to try scallops tomorrow - i quit eating them 5 years ago after noticing a reaction, but they came up safe on both tests . . so . . . lol

babysteps Contributor

on the pasta, are you okay with quinoa? It eats like a grain but technically is not so you might be okay there.

I ask because there is a corn & quinoa pasta (light blue box, same brand as the straight quinoa) that has a suprisingly good texture.

I have noticed the corn pastas vary a lot in texture one to the next.

Unfortunately for me, if I wait until I want to clean my house, it would never happen. Others may have better attitudes! I just do it anyway, to make spouse happy...and somehow after a while it's more a habit and I know it's not sooo bad. I only make myself do 15 minutes at a time. If I'm not whiney, I keep going sometimes. Getting a tv in the kitchen helped a lot :D

dbmamaz Explorer
on the pasta, are you okay with quinoa? I ask because there is a corn & quinoa pasta (light blue box, same brand as the straight quinoa) that has a suprisingly good texture.

I used that at first, and loved it, but once i saw how many foods I reacted to, i decided to start with foods which were safe on both tests, and not ASSUME i could eat any food which WASNT on the tests. Quinioa was on neither test, but is something I will try fairly soon. I think I might try a probiotic before that, and i'm wanting to try another fruit. . . cherry, date or nectarine .. . its just so slow! lol

dbmamaz Explorer
I bet you could make delicious muffins using only cornstarch, millet and light buckwheat flour (which is not a grain). But even just with cornstarch and millet I bet you could bake pretty good muffins.

I remembered the other reason I stopped the gluten-free baking . .. after several mediocre attempts, my husband spoke somewhat sternly to me and said, you arent doing this baking for me, are you, because I am NOT going to go gluten-free. I explained that no, I was just trying to come up w a way I could make treats the whole family would like and I could share. However, none of them seemed worth eating once they were more than 5 hours old. Oddly, my husband really liked the last gluten-free item I made, which was banana pancakes (my regular recipe is banana) - i thought they were gooey but everyone else liked them.

I'm sure i'll get back to it eventually . . . i just havent had the heart. Or maybe the b12 . .. maybe my b12 supplement should be the next thing I add back in to my diet . .. sigh

nora-n Rookie

Hi, I cook and bake everything gluten-free here but partner is not gluten-free. He has bread in the kitchen.

I have to wipe everything down before I use the kitchen, but he kinda keeps the gluten stuff in one place.

i definitely cannot bake anything with wheat flour, not even putting the wheat-based flour mix into the kitchen machine outside...tried that and still got sick. I also get sick from buying regular bread in teh store, or fromhandling gluten items.

I bake cakes gluten-free and they are better than the wheat based varieties. anything with baking powder really is better without gluten, which actually is a problem in wheat based flours (the gluten content, that is)

I even made gluten-free cheese-free milk-free cheesecake for newyear and it was good.

nora

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dbmamaz Explorer
The first person to convince of the importance of being 100% gluten free is yourself. Pauliina

Yes, you are absolutely right. I am not taking it seriously enough. Partly I think its because i am working thru so MANY food sensitivities now, it seems like just one more, but I know its the mother of all food sensitivities. But yes, I need to take it more seriously, I think you really hit the nail on the head.

dbmamaz Explorer
I also get sick from buying regular bread in teh store, or fromhandling gluten items.

I bake cakes gluten-free and they are better than the wheat based varieties. anything with baking powder really is better without gluten, which actually is a problem in wheat based flours (the gluten content, that is)

I even made gluten-free cheese-free milk-free cheesecake for newyear and it was good.

nora

Ok, two questions. How sick do you get buying bread in the store? I am buying lunch breads for my kids all the time . . . sometimes when my legs ache a little or my feet are sore just from normal household duties, i wonder if maybe i got glutened. My stomach has been really good tho.

The cheese cake - i've had tofu cheesecakes and hated them. I find that the soy sour cream is ok on tacos and the soy cream cheese pleased the kids on bagels, but I didnt enjoy them on baked potatoes or pasta, as i did with the dairy ones.

Archived