Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LisaN

Still Having Major Hair Loss And Zero Energy...

I have been gluten free since November 6, 2007. I have been glutened only 3 times since then. I have switched to a gluten free shampoo. I take a multivitamin, biotin, and b-12 daily. I use to have thick, full hair and it has decreased in thickness by over half. What is wrong or what am I doing wrong?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sounds like thyroid to me, too.

Google Broda Barnes to learn more about subclinical low thyroid.

Be sure they also check your free t3 and free t4. My tests were low across the board, but all in the normal range. I finally got treated based on my low normals and am feeling much more energetic.

My hair is thick again and isn't breaking like it was.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I have been gluten free since November 6, 2007. I have been glutened only 3 times since then. I have switched to a gluten free shampoo. I take a multivitamin, biotin, and b-12 daily. I use to have thick, full hair and it has decreased in thickness by over half. What is wrong or what am I doing wrong?

Hi LisaN,

Many things can cause hair loss and low energy. Thyroid, you would need the full panel including free T3 and free T4, iron deficiencies - specifically serum ferritin level. I would also have your doctor check other vitamin levels like all B's, D, E, A, K, magnesium and your iron levels (including serum ferritin).

I'm dealing with this right now and didn't realize how much my hair is starting to come out. My serum ferritin levels and vitamin D levels are extremely low.

Maybe others can chime in with more suggestions.

A multivitamin wouldn't be enough if your very low in any vitamins. It takes large doses to get the levels back to normal, if you are deficient.

Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

Thanks everyone. :) I have had my thyroid tested three times. The first time my doctor said that I was on the verge of having hypothyroidism and to come back in 6 months and test again. I did that and she said that my levels were fine, and again the time after that. Iron is fine although I have been anemic in the past. I also tried to get my doctor to test me for vitamin defencies and she said that with the "american diet" it would be almost impossible to have any defencies... I will go back and get tested again but what happens when the doctor says that my levels are normal?

Have them run another test for free T3 and free T4.

I never tested low .... but I was low normal so we did a trial of thyroid meds .... it made a HUGE difference.

My doctor is holistic. Most conventional doctors probably won't treat unless you actually test low.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Thanks everyone. :) I have had my thyroid tested three times. The first time my doctor said that I was on the verge of having hypothyroidism and to come back in 6 months and test again. I did that and she said that my levels were fine, and again the time after that. Iron is fine although I have been anemic in the past. I also tried to get my doctor to test me for vitamin defencies and she said that with the "american diet" it would be almost impossible to have any defencies... I will go back and get tested again but what happens when the doctor says that my levels are normal?

Your doctor is not keeping current. People with celiac disease often have malabsorption issues. It's not the food we eat but our ability to absorb the nutrients in our food.