Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mom2lucas

Doubts About Tests

Hi! My 2 year old son was recently diagnosed a celiac through a biopsy, but his blood tests were negative. He started the gluten free diet almost a month ago and we are now seeing some improvements. However, we were waiting on our blood tests, because even though we didn't show any simptoms, my son's doctor ordered them anyway since this is an hereditary disease. We did IgA, Anti-TTG and Anti-endomysium, and they were all negative :huh: So, where did my son get it from? I know blood tests aren't reliable in kids, but I thought they were in adults, and even though we don't have any simptoms I guess my gallstones and psoriasis could be blamed on the celiac disease. Do you think this panel of blood tests is reliable or should we have the genetics tests done? Thanks for any input. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The genetic factor alone does not create celiac disease. Many people have the gene without ever developing the autoimmune reaction.

It is generally understood that a trigger of some kind is needed to activate the disease in a person who is genetically susceptible. Obviously, gluten is also required for the reaction to occur--that is why the gluten-free diet works.

The trigger is usually something that puts stress on the immune system, such as an infectious disease, surgery or pregnancy/childbirth.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

False negatives happen in adults too.

I have exzama. It is definately linked to wheat for me. I had to figure that out on my own.

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008