This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vinegar Substitutes

tennisnut

tennisnut Newbie

When looking for a recipe for vinegar-free barbecue sauce on your forum, i discovered many people looking for vinegar substitutes. i have found a great one in William Crook's book Yeast Connection Cookbook!!

Mix 1 tsp unbuffered corn-free vitamin c crystals with 1/2 cup room temp or warm water. Combine in a small jar, put on lid and shake to dissolve. Store in frig and use within a week. (i actually just grind Vitamin C tablets that are unbuffered in a small coffee grinder(i don't use it for coffee) and keep the powder in the frig and then mix it with water when i want to use it. They recommend a product called "Dull-C" by Freeda Vitamins but i have not tried it.

i use it to make salad dressing when i am tired of the taste of lemon juice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

We use a number of different tropical fruits as vinegar substitutes here. Bilimbi is a sour relative of starfruit which when juiced is a great nutritious substitute. You can also use green starfruit. Calamonsie lime is a good one too. These can be found in Philippine groceries since they are the basis for many dishes there. Try acerola sometime too.

Ken

When looking for a recipe for vinegar-free barbecue sauce on your forum, i discovered many people looking for vinegar substitutes. i have found a great one in William Crook's book Yeast Connection Cookbook!!

Mix 1 tsp unbuffered corn-free vitamin c crystals with 1/2 cup room temp or warm water. Combine in a small jar, put on lid and shake to dissolve. Store in frig and use within a week. (i actually just grind Vitamin C tablets that are unbuffered in a small coffee grinder(i don't use it for coffee) and keep the powder in the frig and then mix it with water when i want to use it. They recommend a product called "Dull-C" by Freeda Vitamins but i have not tried it.

i use it to make salad dressing when i am tired of the taste of lemon juice.

sickchick Community Regular

I have not eaten vinegar since 2002 LOL :lol:

I use the citric acid powder you buy in the canning foods section (it's straight vitamin C)

you don't have to smash anything up if you're feeling lazy ;) hehehe

And ken always has marvelous alternatives! B)

Be healthy!!! :) enjoy your barbeque

OH I have a wonderful Aioli/Mayo recipe I'll share here (it's a great base you can add anything to it!)

1 1/4 cups Olive Oil

3 TB Lemon Juice

1 organic egg

1/4 tsp Salt

pinch dry mustard powder

*make sure your ingredients are at room temp or you won't get good emulsion ;)

In a blender or food processor add egg, salt, mustard and 1/4 cup olive oil, blend for 60 seconds.

While blender is running, add 1/2 cup more olive oil, alternate to lemon juice, then back to the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil. Blend until creamy and thick.

Things I like to add: Tarragon, Dill, Garlic, Roasted Garlic, Chipotle, (I use the powder since it has no vinegar), Cayenne, Curry Powder, Wasabi . Chili-Lime (I use Lime juice instead of Lemon)

Go crazy!!! I keep different flavors in different condiment squeezy bottles in the fridge. I use dill a lot and wasabi too!

love love

kenlove Rising Star

Yumm!

made something like it last night for fresh artichoke hearts and chopped figs

but used yuzu peel powder instead of the mustard.

One of the farmers at a high elevation here started growing artichokes which I cant grow in my area.

The difference in fresh ones and the stuff shipped in is amazing!

take care

OH I have a wonderful Aioli/Mayo recipe I'll share here (it's a great base you can add anything to it!)

1 1/4 cups Olive Oil

3 TB Lemon Juice

1 organic egg

1/4 tsp Salt

pinch dry mustard powder

Yumm!

made something like it last night for fresh artichoke hearts and chopped figs

but used yuzu peel powder instead of the mustard.

One of the farmers at a high elevation here started growing artichokes which I cant grow in my area.

The difference in fresh ones and the stuff shipped in is amazing!

take care

I must try that IMMEDIATELY! :lol:B)

Uh YUM KEN!!!

kenlove Rising Star

Guess you guys will just have to come visit!

I must try that IMMEDIATELY! :lol:B)

Uh YUM KEN!!!

Ok since you mentioned vinegar free bbq this is my favorite SPICE RUB :)

Java-Chile Spice Rub

1/2 cup ground Coffee

3 tablespoons ground pasilla or ancho chile

3 tablespoons coarse salt, kosher or sea

2 tablespoons packed brown sugar

1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper

Mix the spices thoroughly in bowl.

Store covered in a cool dark pantry.

Enjoy! This rub I love on New York steaks... I have used it on Salmon and London Broils too....

I've mixed it in with Ground beef, ground bison, and ground turkey

it's smoky and spicy

B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MrsMH Rookie

I read that Brag's unfiltered apple cider vinegar is actually good for fighting yeast infection, anyone have any experience with that ?

RiceGuy Collaborator
I read that Brag's unfiltered apple cider vinegar is actually good for fighting yeast infection, anyone have any experience with that ?

Don't know, but I've read apple cider vinegar can actually cure heartburn depending on the particular cause.

I am not sure MrsMH... I haven't eaten vinegar (including apple cider) in years because of my leaky gut problem...

I hope you find the answers you are looking for :)

kbabe1968 Enthusiast
Don't know, but I've read apple cider vinegar can actually cure heartburn depending on the particular cause.

I can attest to this FIRST HAND!!!

I had horrible heart burn all three times I was pregnant. HORRIBLE.

My last one, we had a friend who was a naturopath. He recommended Braggs...take 1 tbs, chased with 8 oz water (do not dilute FIRST then drink...take the tablespoon, count to 5 and then drink the water).

I took that at about 7 months (he told me at three but it took a few months for me to work up the nerve to try it!).

Within an hour I had no heartburn. none. Not even a smidge.

And it didn't return for 18 months.

Now I do it every couple of months as a preventative measure, and I haven't had heartburn again! :D

Archived