Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sickchick

Baking Bread

Ok I love to bake, but I have always baked desserts, pastries, cookies, candies, etc, and I am pretty fearless about it.

Bread however, living in Seattle we always had a "Great Harvest" at any of the neighbohoods I have lived in.

So now I have some ideas... and questions because I am not sure what does what in recipes. Gimme a week and I will be more confident.

The recipe I was itching to try was from my book The Wheat Free Cook (Jacqueline Mallorica) and it calls for yogurt. It's a quick bread recipe, there is no yeast in it. And it's a 'Hearth- Style' rustic with seeds on it.

I can't have vinegar... I can't have dairy... I am assuming it's to react somehow with baking soda or baking powder?

You think I could substitute with citric acid powder?

lovelove

sickchick

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If the recipe calls for dairy, that would be the reason to include baking soda. The soda neutralizes the acid in the dairy, so the baking powder doesn't fizzle out before you get the dough in the oven. Therefore, if you omit dairy and other acidic ingredients, you should be able to omit the baking soda.

If it where me, I'd probably just use a little unsweetened apple sauce in place of the yogurt, and however much extra water it takes to get the right consistency for the dough.

Use Bob's Red Mill baking powder, and it should be just fine. From all my experience, Rumford's doesn't work in gluten-free breads.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

The addition of yogurt or buttermilk produces a moist tender product. I have been using plain soy yogurt(Whole Soy and Co.) as a CF sub. for yogurt or buttermilk. If the original recipe called for buttermilk then I add a just little water to thin the yogurt just a bit to make it the consistancy of buttermilk. IMHO the best baked goods recipes often have buttermilk or yogurt in them.

If you don't use soy yogurt then you will need to sub with something of a similar thickness and moisture content, like the applesauce that RiceGuy suggested, or some other puree.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Fantastic you two... I truly truly appreciate it B)

Off to the store~ got some bread to bake! :o:lol:

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)