Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

munchkinette

Provigil?

What's the deal with Provigil? I just got a prescription for it today, but some of my searches indicate that it has gluten. What are some alternatives? What responses have come back so far from the manufacturer?

Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003

Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)

Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)

Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I called the manufacturer of Provigil last July (2007, so it's been a while). They told me it has 54mg of gluten. So, my doctor wouldn't give it to me. I take ritalin and it does help some. I think you can also take adderall, which is a lot like ritalin. It took me a few days to adjust to the medicine, but I don't notice any side effects now.

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease July 11, 2005

Diagnosed with Narcolepsy July 3, 2007

I don't like the month of July very much!

Three year old son diagnosed with Celiac Disease March 2007. He's currently addicted to Kinnickinnick Vanilla Frosted donuts. :)

What's the deal with Provigil? I just got a prescription for it today, but some of my searches indicate that it has gluten. What are some alternatives? What responses have come back so far from the manufacturer?

I told CVS that I am need Gluten free meds and they now check for me.

CVS is pretty good about it- still wish Provigil was gluten-free- I called last week and it's not. Argh!

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

I called the manufacturer of Provigil last July (2007, so it's been a while). They told me it has 54mg of gluten. So, my doctor wouldn't give it to me. I take ritalin and it does help some. I think you can also take adderall, which is a lot like ritalin. It took me a few days to adjust to the medicine, but I don't notice any side effects now.

OMG- didn't even occur to me that medications have gluten in it! Thank you! My doctor recommended I consider Provigil. I am temporarily on Xyrem- which I am fairly convinced has no gluten, as I feel great. I was on ritalin for years and later on dexedrine. Ritalin is far better of the two. How much Ritalin do you take?

I think Dexedrine messed me up. I quit cold turkey when I graduated school. Gained 45 lbs in two months and have had a few miserable years. It has taken me years to realize that the main cause of my narcolepsy attacks is gluten and possible msg. None of that - no narcolepsy. The repair of my metabolism has been slow and painful...so my advise to you is that if you ever plan on coming off of it- follow the orders of tapering off slowly, maybe you can avoid my struggles.