Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

strawberrygm

Kids Bday Cake

my celiac dd will be turning 10 soon.

i read the cake thread, so i will be ordering and baking a pamelas vanilla cake.

she is having a luau -- and i am not a cake decorator.

i am sure i can find someone to come to my house and decorate it for me.

so what do i need to get as far as the icing and colors, etc go?

dd age 12 -- diagnosed celiac via 2 positive bloodtests april 08 & biopsy june 08

ds age 5 -- bloodwork negative aug 2008

ds age 3 -- not tested yet

ds infant -- not tested yet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

my celiac dd will be turning 10 soon.

i read the cake thread, so i will be ordering and baking a pamelas vanilla cake.

she is having a luau -- and i am not a cake decorator.

i am sure i can find someone to come to my house and decorate it for me.

so what do i need to get as far as the icing and colors, etc go?

Good choice- Pamela's makes really good products.What you might want to do is talk to the person who's going to decorate it for and come up with the design. That way you'll know what colors and things you'll need- then you can check brands for the gluten status of the things you'll need.

Sounds like it'll be a great party! A fun gluten-free food to have, might be to hollow out a couple pineapples, and fill them with fruit salad.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/kid-...ay-cake.html#c6

see 'Beach 06' picture

Here's a picture of a cake. I've seen ones like this in a few magazines. You'd need the little plastic figures, animals and palm trees, strips of fabric for beach towels. Crushed cookies (Pamela's shortbread maybe) for one side and white frosting for the other with blue coloring to mix. It looks super easy, I don't think you'd need someone to do it for you!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Here is Wilton's (Decorating) Buttercream Frosting

1 cup solid vegetable shortening (i.e. Crisco)

1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla Extract

1/2 teaspoon Clear Butter Flavoring

4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 1 lb.)

2 tablespoons milk

pinch of salt

This is a very flexible recipe. I always used considerably more sugar (at least 50% more) and I always needed (a LOT) more milk. You don't have to use the butter flavoring, you could just use a little more vanilla.

You can get clear vanilla extract and clear butter flavoring at Wal-Mart in their craft section. They usuall have quite a few Wilton items/accessories there. You can also get your paste colors there. You need to use decorating (dye) paste because the liquid stuff that you buy at the grocery store won't get the deep colors.

The Wilton pastes and clear vanilla and butter flavoring are all gluten free.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

Also, you could just ice it and decorate it with the silk flowers from a couple of "sacraficial" leis (which you could also hand out as party favors).

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

We did a luau for my dd's 5th b-day. It was so much fun!! She (thank God) didn't want a cake--I was still in my 'no baking' phase-so we did ice cream sundaes. I took her to the candy aisle and told her to go crazy (gluten-free of course). We set out little bowls of different candies and crushed cookies and all the kids got to make their own. It was the biggest hit I've ever seen at a kid's b-day. I bought the lei making kits from the party store and they all made their own leis and I got a roll of brown butcher paper and some safety scissors and they all made their own grass skirts. I used an ironing board, covered it with a cool beach towel and took pictures of each kid on the "surf board" and then sent a picture with the thank you card. It was sooo much fun!!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)