This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Am New And Take All Advice And Hints!

rmducote

rmducote Apprentice

We finally figured out that my 50 yr old hubby is gluten allergic. We haven't gone to the dr but after reading lots of forums (which started with researching the blisters on his hands and "welts) we removed it from his diet. After adding it again, he broke out real bad. Anyway, I am wondering if any of you have found that you can't use TOPICAL things like cologne w/alcohol? I am guessing that is what is doing it, that and deoderant since he puts those on in the evening and breaks out while sleeping.Everything else has been removed from his diet. I've checked all meds (called company) Also need to know what other names gluten is hidden in? I ran across galactose, glumatic acid adn glycolate that is gluten to stay away from. I am lucky to be able to order from a food co-op and have ordered 50# Bobs gluten free flour and some other goodies, including ice cream (soy or rice better?) If anyone has favorite brands or snacks-please let me know! I've switched to rice bread, but he misses his goodies too. For those of you with bread machines, I have a great receiped from glutenfree /celiac cookbook.

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frec Contributor

The four hidden gluten ingredients I run into the most are modified food starch, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, malt and maltodextrin. They can be in anything. I found maltodextrin in iced tea (powdered) someone offered me this week. Who'd have thought? You can have maltodextrin and modified food starch IF they specify that it is from corn or tapioca or rice (assuming he is not allergic to any of those as well) and not from wheat/barley/rye.

There are very long complete helpful lists of dangerous and safe ingredients on this website. You can also google just within this site--look up at the top of the screen above the forum. Sometimes I just type in a brand name or ingredient and get good information from previous discussions.

There are more and more gluten free foods all the time. My favorites (with the best prices) are from Trader Joe's. They have cookies, waffles, pancakes, bread, rice crackers, and lots of nondairy (is he off milk?) alternatives. I love Almond Breeze chocolate milk.

Good luck. He is lucky to have you helping.

Lisa Mentor

Maltodextrin in the US is derived from corn and is not a gluten issues. Malt, with certain, is not gluten free.

Modified Food Starch, by US labeling law, must list wheat if it is an ingredient as in "Modified Food Starch (wheat), as well as Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein.

Here is a listing of US companies who will clearly list all forms of gluten (ie. wheat, barley, malt, rye):

Open Original Shared Link

Here is a listing of some gluten free meds:

I am sure that your hard work is appreciated by your husband.

dish23 Newbie
Maltodextrin in the US is derived from corn and is not a gluten issues. Malt, with certain, is not gluten free.

Modified Food Starch, by US labeling law, must list wheat if it is an ingredient as in "Modified Food Starch (wheat), as well as Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein.

Here is a listing of US companies who will clearly list all forms of gluten (ie. wheat, barley, malt, rye):

Here is a listing of some gluten free meds:

I am sure that your hard work is appreciated by your husband.

I am new to celiac disease, so please be patient with me. Are you saying that a product with maltodextrin is ok to consume? Some literature I have says it's no good.

babysteps Contributor

topical sensitivity seems to be very personal, some folks with intense dietary response have little if any topical response, some with little dietary response have huge topical responses...

That said, browse a bit on the forums, use "lotion" "shampoo" and similar search terms and you will find lots of info. Labeling laws aren't the same as food, I don't think the manufacturers *have* to list allergens for non-food items but some do. There are long lists of 'wheat-free' for Nutrogena on these forums, but you still have to read the label to avoid oatmeal ingredients. If you have a favorite product and can't quite tell from the label, contact the company (or check forums here). Formulations change frequently, so older posts may be more useful to identify companies that will give full info than they are for a product list that is foolproof for today.

It *IS* possible, but it took me a lot longer to go gluten-free topically than in my diet.

One thing to consider - is your husband sensitive to fragrance? I am, not sure if it's possible gluten or if it's just the smell ;) But going to gluten-free, fragrance-free topical items 100% has been a big help for my skin!

Archived