Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tiedyeavenger

Friend With Celiac - Pantry Ideas?

I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with Celiac. We love having him over for dinner and I was wondering if you could give me some ideas for gluten-free things I can have in the pantry for those nights we want a spontaneous gathering. It's okay when I have some time to plan, but that's not always possible and I'd like to have some things on hand.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

*Uncle Ben's Fast and Natural Whole Grain Instant Brown Rice -- really good and gluten free (also says gluten free on the back of the box)

*Thai Kitchen brand Thin Rice Noodles and also their Sit-Fry Noodles... Can be used for pretty much anything and really easy to make (I put evoo, parmesean cheese and italian seasoning with pepper on them).

*Classico Spaghetti Sauces are all gluten free, red and white sauces (if you don't have any meat you can use frozen vegetables and make spaghetti with vegeatables and noodles)

*Potatoes (if he doesn't have a problem with them)

Cook fresh or frozen plain chicken that didn't have seasoning on it when you bought it

Steak

Good Luck :)

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

I buy frozen, bone in chicken breasts with skin. Defrost, Sprinkle with pure herbs of choice, salt and pepper and olive oil, throw a few cloves of garlic into the pan, cut root veggies and roast. Takes about 20 minutes. Add some rice as mentioned and salad. Easy, no fuss dinner.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Tinkyada rice pasta is really good and comes in all the different shapes. Mrs. Leeper's corn pasta is also good.

Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.

3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.

6/08: My Celiac test is negative.

7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!

7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.

8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

Stuff for tacos/nachos- you can use Rotel tomatoes if you don't have fresh. Refried beans, avocados, olives, salsa, McCormick taco seasoning, cheese, beef or chicken, onions (already in Rotel). Use tortilla chips or hard corn taco shells.

Spaghetti-ground beef or chicken, spaghetti sauce(I use Prego traditional style), Tinkyada spaghetti

Chicken alfredo- Tinkyada curly noodles, Bertolli alfredo sauce, mozzarella and anything you have on hand to throw in like garlic, tomatoes, veggies, mushrooms, onions, seasoning, cheddar cheese, etc.

Baked potatoes with gluten-free chili and cheese

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28