Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WilliamM

My Gluten-free Diet Trial

I have NOT been diagnosed with Celiac. 5 people in my family have it though, so I decided to try a gluten-free diet to see if I noticed anything different. I have had blood work done, with one of my levels high, but not high enough to indicate Celiac.

Within the first week gluten-free I went through periods of extreme energy, and periods of extreme fatigue with blurred vision and panic attacks (had to leave a classroom twice). After a week I noticed a return to normal vision, and energy was well balanced. I also had considerably less depression than before. I did lose some motivation to study, and write, which were two things I did at a high level before. However, I gained motivation for things I liked to do a long time ago (exercising, playing music, socializing). I was off of gluten for about a month and a half.

I then gradually made my way back to a gluten diet, mostly due to people encouraging me to eat "real food". I experienced tightness in my chest and fatigue returned with my depression (almost suicidal). I GAINED weight, which I found odd, and I returned to my old study and writing habits. When i drank beer my hangover was horrible. And I didn't drink that much. I was on gluten for about two months.

Recently I went back on a gluten free diet and have experienced the same types of reactions as I did when I first went on it, with the exception of blurred vision again. The tightness in my chest disappeared and my energy has been much higher. The first week my energy was almost TOO high. I don't know if it has to do w/ being on a better diet or what.

Does this sound like Celiac? Or am I experiencing weird placebo effects? Any input is appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

William...if you feel better gluten-free, why not just stay gluten-free??

You could be Celiac based on your symptoms and the trial you did was not long enough for your body to completely heal and get balanced. Who knows how good you can feel?

You can opt to keep eating gluteny foods for another 3 months and get labs and biopsy to see for sure.

With your family history....and gluten-free diet results.....you already have your answer.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!