This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Certain Foods

Kauk

Kauk Rookie

I am a little confused on some of the foods out there. Yogart being one! Any advice? I drink Yops usually.

AlsI I heard Frenchs Classic Mustard was ok, as reg flav Ketchup, and Vlasic Pickles. Do these not contain vinigar? Are they ok?

Thanks for the help! Some small details are hard to get a grasp on. =)

Rebecca

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rya Newbie
I am a little confused on some of the foods out there. Yogart being one! Any advice? I drink Yops usually.

AlsI I heard Frenchs Classic Mustard was ok, as reg flav Ketchup, and Vlasic Pickles. Do these not contain vinigar? Are they ok?

Thanks for the help! Some small details are hard to get a grasp on. =)

Rebecca

Yogurt was a big controversy before the new labeling act, for me internally at least. Yoplait actually claims gluten-free on some yogurts. I buy store brand vanilla without problems. Dannon makes a great "all natural" yogurt that's very tasty, though made with whole milk.

Kraft is always a good brand, they let you know what their "fillers" contain, and it's usually corn. So just flip the package over and if there is a note that says Kraft company and the label reads safely, you're usually good to go. Maybe someone more familiar with all the labeling laws can post more on this. ;)

You can have vinegar so long as it is not malted. I can't say I've run across malted vinegar often at all, though I don't try that many new foods. Pickles of all brands have been safe with me.

You are asking smart questions, you'll get these nagging details down quickly I'm sure. If not, someone here always has an answer.

JennyC Enthusiast

Vinegar should be fine unless it is malt vinegar. French's mustard and Heinz ketchup is gluten free. Yoplait yogurt will list any gluten in their ingredients (they won't hide it in natural flavors). Dannon will only commit to their plain yogurt being gluten free, so I don't buy their products.

Here is a list of companies that will disclose gluten in their ingredients:

Open Original Shared Link

Kauk Rookie

WOW! Awsome thanks SOOOO much. Wow...I can eat mustard...how exciting. I remember after a year of no bread eatng gluten free toast...It was SOOOO damn good....I was in heaven..haha...People dont know what they have...try not having it and see how good it is then...They take things SO for granted..LOL I mean I was so happy to have a peice of toast!! LOL

:P

Rebecca

Kauk Rookie

ps:

When checking labells...do you actually LOOK for Gluten free..or is there someting on the labell I should be looking out for. I have not eaten yogart in years because it had "Modifyed Corn Starch" listed. My hubbys yogart has that and Malic acid...So I am just unsure. lol Its confusong and shopping takes alot longer...all that label reading...;D

Rebecca

Rya Newbie

Back in the day (OK, a year ago) when I became Celiac, there was this big nasty terrible ungodly long list of ingredients that we had to look for on labels in addition to all the obvious barley, rye, oats, and wheat. The idea was companies could hide traces of gluten in things like "modified food starch" or "natural flavoring." Bastards. Anyhow. The FDA decided that this is way too much for the general population to handle, so companies have to label if their product contains the 8 major allergens.

So now if a product has wheat the label will either say in the list of ingredients like this:

Ingredients: Corn, Cheese, Milk, Etc, Natural flavor (Corn), Modified Food Starch (Wheat)

or like this:

This Product May Contain Trace Amounts of Tree Nuts/Wheat

This Product is Manufactured on Equipment That Also Processes Wheat

Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat

you get the idea..

Problem 1 - wheat is the only gluten that made the allergen list. The good news is you don't see barley and rye too much in food products, and oats are generally just oats (and listed as such), not ingredients of ingredients like wheat. But, this is not the best system in the world.

Here is a link to the old lists we all still keep in the back of our minds. It is helpful in that it does list variations of gluten products that we can't have like semolina, triticale, spelt, kamut, etc, which are gluten by code names. https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

Modified corn starch is fine provided you aren't sensitive to corn.

Your safest bet is with all natural products, the ones that read so beautifully like: Milk, Maple Syrup, Sugar, etc versus Powdered Extract of Processed Used-to-be Milk, Phenylmethylbutyl Gabrgage, Red Dye 6,7,8,9,20, and 40, etc. Also, with products that are naturally gluten-free - fresh veggies, cheese, milk, wine? yes?, meat, rice, beans. And gluten-free products, of which there are so many.

As for shopping taking forever, when you get settled into a food routine, it will go back to it's old ways.

Glad to read that you are feeling better!!!

Rya Newbie

Rebecca - just read your story and realized you aren't new to this. My apologies if the above information is things you already know!

Rya

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kauk Rookie

Rya

No, Iam not "new" to it...but when I became Celiac, I was told by my (rather THE) deitition not to each "NO Modifyed Corn starch. NO vinigar. (which means pickles, mustard, yogart, ect) and was even told to take Acidophious as pill form due to NOT eating yogart. SOOOOoo..I am just getting confused. I am not sure I should eat Modifyed Corn starch.lol.. As for vinigar...why do I get told NO...and then yes. Why was vinigar bad?

and what is Soy lecithin. LOL

Its a struggle..but I will eat MCS in monderation....when I have to..I dont think I will full time. lol Just to be sure. :)

HUGS

Rebecca

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Rya

No, Iam not "new" to it...but when I became Celiac, I was told by my (rather THE) deitition not to each "NO Modifyed Corn starch. NO vinigar. (which means pickles, mustard, yogart, ect) and was even told to take Acidophious as pill form due to NOT eating yogart. SOOOOoo..I am just getting confused. I am not sure I should eat Modifyed Corn starch.lol.. As for vinigar...why do I get told NO...and then yes. Why was vinigar bad?

and what is Soy lecithin. LOL

Its a struggle..but I will eat MCS in monderation....when I have to..I dont think I will full time. lol Just to be sure. :)

HUGS

Rebecca

You don't have to avoid all vinegars and some of us will not need to avoid any but..... some of us will react to gluten grain distilled vinegars and alcohols. The only way you can know for sure is if you challenge gluten grain vinegars and or alcohol while you are feeling good and not consuming any other risky items. There are also of course some folks who just can't handle vinegar but that wouldn't be an issue with gluten but may be an issue as far as healing goes.

By FDA rules if it just says vinegar it HAS to be derived from apples and is going to be safe. You do need to check the distilled variety though. Heinz uses corn for it's distilled vinegars and most of the stuff they make is safe. I use their ketcup and their distilled for making my pickles.

Soy lecithin is an emulsifier. It is in a lot of stuff. I can handle that but not soy flours, milk or oil. Others can't handle the lecithin either. You may want to challenge lecithin to see if that can be tolerated. Hopefully it will be cause it is in a lot of stuff.

As for the corn starch issue, some of it is heavily CC'd due to processing, it is not a gluten issue in itself. I just look for corn starch that says gluten free. I use Clabber Girl corn starch and baking powder. Both are safe and not made from genetically modified sources.

Kauk Rookie

Thank you!

=)

Archived