Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beachbel

Neurological Damage

Hello. I want to pose a question. Does anyone have any experience with nerve damage caused by celiac disease? Would anyone recommend seeing a neurologist? I was diagnosed with celiac disease 18mo ago and have been very carefully living on a gluten free diet. I have had a dietician and a person who runs our local support group go through my food, make up, etc to check for gluten and found nothing. I have found that gluten free products that are manufactured in the same plant as wheat are completely out for me as I seem to be very sensitive to cross contamination. I keep my dishes, food, etc separate from my family and wash my hands and surfaces after fixing their food. Anyhow, I am still testing positive for Celiac disease. My Ttg was 16 at last check if that means anything to anybody. I have also been diagnosed with gastroparesis, Raynaud's syndrome, and now have killer headaches from a nerve in my head. My headache started after I tried a new product that I didn't notice was manufactured in the same plant as wheat. I can no longer take any meds for the gastroparesis because I had a bad reaction to the only two available. So I am now living on a liquid diet. I never have the typical celiac symptoms. Does anyone have any ideas? I am wondering if my immune system is in overdrive. Oh, and my thyroid just tested low and my iron levels have dropped dramatically. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Try cutting out sugar.

Fungus and Gluten can be Immune-Identical

The theory is, you get a fungal overgrowth which includes fungus cells which mimic gluten protein. First you react to the fungus, and then to the gluten. You've cut out the gluten, but you haven't removed the fungus.

Gut fungus thrives on sugar. Try not eating it for a few weeks.

Good luck. Tell us how it comes out.

Yipes that sounds rough. The only thing I can say is, there's no harm in seeing a neurologist. Why not? Can you get a reccomendation from your GI?

dana - developed celiac at age four but not diagnosed until age 20 - gluten free since summer 2006

Low thyroid and low iron both can cause neurological symptoms. You need to find a doctor who understands how to treat low thyroid and isnt afraid to try different meds until you find the right one(s) for you. A Osteopath or MD that leans toward holistic is best. And you will need to get that iron up for the thyroid meds to work effectively.

You are on the right track, you just have to work on a few other things.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!