This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newbie Question - That Pong!

jimgil

jimgil Newbie

Hi All, sure this will have been discussed before and apologies if so. I've recently become gluten intolerant and after going gluten free most of my symptoms have improved, but the other day I made a mistake and ate something with gluten.

I find that incredibly smelly wind is back - but my problem is getting shot of 'that smell'.

Washing sheets and changing clothes, showering and using air fresheners and deoderants just doesn't seem to do the trick sufficiently. It clings and clings! I'm embarrassed to have people in the house as it seems to be everywhere and for days.

What do people do to get rid of it? I've heard about charcoal pads but for now it is too late as the 'cat is out of the bag'. Any advice greatly appreciated and thanks!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cinnamon Apprentice

You could try taking Chlorophyll each day. Health food stores sell it, or the Internet. You can get it in chewables. liquid or capsules. It really deodorizes everything, though you might have to pop a couple more during a glutening.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I work in a hotel, and when a room has an unexplainable, uneradicable smell, we put dryer sheets in the vents for a few days and shampoo the carpet. Is your weather fair enough to leave the windows open, at least while you're not home?

purple Community Regular

I haven't tried it but you can burn/use essential oils as air fresheners, germ killers, etc. I have read that lavendar is a good one to use. Please google it for more info. You may need a "carrier" to use with it and there are precautions if you get it on your skin. They are natural and healthy compared to the synthetic chemical filled air fresheners.

Open Original Shared Link

Here is another:

Open Original Shared Link

They are supposed to make you feel good like when you smell fresh flowers...mmm.

Oh, try burning coffee grounds in a pan on the stove.

solarglobe Rookie

I'm a newbie too -- I totally understand what you're saying! For laundry, I finally discovered BORAX -- 20 Mule Team -- it comes in a box -- use it as a laundry additive along with detergent. It takes that smell right out.

If I'm doing whites, I throw in some bleach too.

I use straightforward natural cleaning ingredients around the house now too -- white vinegar & warm water is pretty good. And burning a few candles that are naturally scented (essential oils type of thing) has helped me.

Good luck.

jimgil Newbie

Some brilliant replies and sincere thanks to all of you. I haven't found Borax here in Slovenia but am going to a wedding in the U.K. next week so am hoping to have more luck there and chlorophyll might help clear me out. I'm using off prescription drugs at the moment for internal assistance called Yogermina and Bion3, I don't know what they are called in other countries.

After an 'attack' i sometimes feel the smell is coming out of every pore, sometimes for days - do others experience this?

Hope people will keep posting their thoughts and suggestions.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jimgil Newbie

When my 'pong' is at its worst it is terribly embarrassing still.

What medication to people take to control their wind?

When my 'pong' is at its worst it is terribly embarrassing still.

What medication to people take to control their wind?

Idunno, try Googling 'gas medicine'.

Archived