This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Increased Sensitivity To 'gassy' Foods?

henny

henny Explorer

I love brussels sprouts. I have always eaten them by the bushel.

I'm 2 weeks gluten free and feeling wonderful in my GI tract finally after 8 years of painful gas etc.

brussels sprouts never bothered me...until tonight.

I ate my usual portion (a green giant product, which is supposed to be safely gluten-free) and within 15 minutes my belly blew up like a balloon and all the old pain/cramping is back with a vengeance.

I know that brussels sprouts are a classic 'gassy' food, but why am I suddenly unable to eat them?

Coincidence/fluke? New sensitivity? Something else?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Did you have D before gluten free? If so, I have a theory about this. Whilst eating gluten the body moves food out quicker because the gluten is an irritant so the body says "get it out"!!! So it moves fast and you have D.

Well now that you arent eating gluten the food stays in a little longer which gives it more time to ferment and gas up.

Anyone else?

henny Explorer
Did you have D before gluten free? If so, I have a theory about this. Whilst eating gluten the body moves food out quicker because the gluten is an irritant so the body says "get it out"!!! So it moves fast and you have D.

Well now that you arent eating gluten the food stays in a little longer which gives it more time to ferment and gas up.

Anyone else?

hmmm.....good theory :)

yes I did, and that could be true!

I am still so new to this gluten-free thing every time something new happens I freak out....thanks for bearing with me!

Archived