This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Movie Theatre Food? Popcorn? Safe?

disneymom62

disneymom62 Newbie

OK, so I'm very new at this... VERY new. I have word from my GI doc after blood test and biopsies that I have Celiac disease. I'm learning what I can't eat, and what I can eat. I am going to the movies with a friend of mine tonight, and don't know if I can eat my customary popcorn, or if I need to pack some gluten-free snack. Will there be anything there I can eat? Help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator
OK, so I'm very new at this... VERY new. I have word from my GI doc after blood test and biopsies that I have Celiac disease. I'm learning what I can't eat, and what I can eat. I am going to the movies with a friend of mine tonight, and don't know if I can eat my customary popcorn, or if I need to pack some gluten-free snack. Will there be anything there I can eat? Help?

I never go for the popcorn because I don't know what's in their flavors they add to it. Occasionally I will let the kids get M&M's or Kissables, but usually I sneak (Yeah, I'm horrible :rolleyes: ) a snack bag in for each kid and justify it by buying them a drink.

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

I always bring my own popcorn and then purchase soda at the theater. I pop a bag of popcorn at home (a brand we know is safe) and then put it in a ziplock bag. No one has ever stopped me before. I am certain that we aren't the only mom's who do this ;)

teemaree Apprentice

Hi,

Although I am in australia and the flavouring and oil maybe a little different there in the USA....

I actually work and manage a cinema complex, and I wondered about the popcorn,

I checked the packaging of all the ingredients, and all appeared safe.

But I was still too scared to try it... But a customer that we have, also has celiac and comes to the movies every week...and buys and eats the popcorn without problems.

So the other night I lashed out and decided to give it a go....

and sure enough I found it to be fine... with no bad reactions...

but as I said maybe the ingredients in Oz are different than the USA?

Lisa Mentor

We live in a small town and I have gone early to ask to view the ingredients. All appeared fine. It's not all that healthy, but what would a good movie be without popcorn. ;)

Every threater may be different. Always check first.

disneymom62 Newbie

great advice, thanks to you all! I took a bag of Trix cereal for something crunchy, and took some banana chips. I bought a bag of Cheetos because I didn't see any gluten ingredients in them, but didn't open them. I'm going to have to try the microwave popcorn trick next time. Is it the Orville Redenbacher's brand that is gluten free? This is going to be an interesting learning curve, but I think I'll get there. This forum and all of the knowledge here will be an immense help.

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

Yes, we eat Orville Redenbacher Movie Theater Butter (I think that's the name).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived