This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tingling Senstation - Parasthesia?

sansglutengrl

sansglutengrl Explorer

So.

I *may* have gotten glutened last week. Had dinner at a friend's house and I know all the food was ok because I brought it, but may have gotten glutened somehow from knives or plates or something. Felt like *total* crap the next day - stomach problems, super foggy head, headaches, and the same the day after that. The third day the cloud started to lift. I thought I had been getting the flu.

Now, I have this crazy traveling tingling feeling, I feel like I'm going crazy!!! It's been in three different places in three different days. It was around my knee, and then on my thigh and now today it is above my right eyebrow. I don't know how to describe it.... it's not painful, just like a persistent crawly kind of feeling. The area is small, like maybe the size of a quarter. It's freaking me out because I feel like it's some neurological problem. I assume that there is nothing I can do about this, because that's usually how these things work. What I'm hoping is that someone will chime in and say that this happened when they get glutened and I don't need to go have an mri. ;)

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? <pretty please!!>

Also - a moment of vent: Can someone please explain why every SINGLE social interaction must involve a meal of some kind?!!?!?!?! What is wrong with people that they can't just hang out, or go a couple of hours without having a MEAL?!?!?!?!?

Ahem.

I'm a people person, I promise. Just not a people-who-eat-gluten person.

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

curlyfries Contributor

I know I used to get that tingly feeling too, before going gluten-free....I believe that was my knee and eyebrow. I would also get a feeling like someone had spilled water on me, usually on my shin, and sometimes I would swear I had a burn....usually on my forearm.

All better now :D my glutening reactions now are mostly intestinal.

RiceGuy Collaborator

What you describe is easily caused by certain nutrient deficiencies. It may be that your last glutening put you below the threshold for one or more nutrients. The two which come to mind first are B12 and magnesium. Both are vital for proper neurological function, though they are certainly not the only ones which may be involved. That's where I'd start, and I'd also consider B-complex, vitamin D, and maybe zinc.

HTH

stellar Newbie
So.

I *may* have gotten glutened last week. Had dinner at a friend's house and I know all the food was ok because I brought it, but may have gotten glutened somehow from knives or plates or something. Felt like *total* crap the next day - stomach problems, super foggy head, headaches, and the same the day after that. The third day the cloud started to lift. I thought I had been getting the flu.

Now, I have this crazy traveling tingling feeling, I feel like I'm going crazy!!! It's been in three different places in three different days. It was around my knee, and then on my thigh and now today it is above my right eyebrow. I don't know how to describe it.... it's not painful, just like a persistent crawly kind of feeling. The area is small, like maybe the size of a quarter. It's freaking me out because I feel like it's some neurological problem. I assume that there is nothing I can do about this, because that's usually how these things work. What I'm hoping is that someone will chime in and say that this happened when they get glutened and I don't need to go have an mri. ;)

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? <pretty please!!>

Also - a moment of vent: Can someone please explain why every SINGLE social interaction must involve a meal of some kind?!!?!?!?! What is wrong with people that they can't just hang out, or go a couple of hours without having a MEAL?!?!?!?!?

Ahem.

I'm a people person, I promise. Just not a people-who-eat-gluten person.

:)

stellar Newbie

I used to get the tingling sensation. It would start in my face and travel down my whole body. It would keep me up at night just because it was uncomfortable and "weird". This was before I was diagnosed November 2008 and now I just get it in my feet and hands on occasion. I'm not sure what triggers it because I am extremely careful about not consuming gluten.

ang1e0251 Contributor

The summer before I went gluten-free, I had those weird sensations on my upper arm. Like you say, it was about the size of a quarter. I'd forgotten about it until I read your post. My husband said it was a spirit contacting me! I'm sure it was a low on vitamins because I wasn't getting much out of what I was supplementing.

I haven't had them since so it was all part of the celiac disease package.

sansglutengrl Explorer

Wow! Thanks everyone, so I'm not crazy!

<cheers>

Angie, I laughed out loud when you said your husband thought it was a spirit contacting you! It does sort of feel like someone tapping on your shoulder or something!

Rice Guy - I'll bet you're right with the nutritional deficiency thing. Stupid question - is there any way they can "test" for those? I've thought a number of times that I've had magnesium problems (headaches, etc.), but I always wondered if there was some way to *know*.

Maybe I'll start another thread on this, but I have about fourteen thousand questions about these vitamin issues. What do you all do to make sure you're getting the right amounts of things? Just supplements, or is trying to get the nutrients through food first a better way? Which vitamins do you like best? How can you tell if they are working or not? At one point, I started some sublingual B-12 thinking it would improve energy, and all I got was a tingly scalp. Maybe I'm just a big wierdo. :)

I wasn't kidding about the 14,000 questions. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TES Newbie
Wow! Thanks everyone, so I'm not crazy!

<cheers>

Angie, I laughed out loud when you said your husband thought it was a spirit contacting you! It does sort of feel like someone tapping on your shoulder or something!

Rice Guy - I'll bet you're right with the nutritional deficiency thing. Stupid question - is there any way they can "test" for those? I've thought a number of times that I've had magnesium problems (headaches, etc.), but I always wondered if there was some way to *know*.

Maybe I'll start another thread on this, but I have about fourteen thousand questions about these vitamin issues. What do you all do to make sure you're getting the right amounts of things? Just supplements, or is trying to get the nutrients through food first a better way? Which vitamins do you like best? How can you tell if they are working or not? At one point, I started some sublingual B-12 thinking it would improve energy, and all I got was a tingly scalp. Maybe I'm just a big wierdo. :)

I wasn't kidding about the 14,000 questions. ;)

I have about 14,000 questions too! It is so hard for my brain to get wrapped around this disease! I too have had wierd spots that are hot feeling or tingly, plus I had almost like an electric fence shock feeling that would actually pull the muscle or nerve, first the right side of body, then later... anywhere. Actually, that was my first symptoms, I thought I was having a stroke. Then later came so many more symptoms, gut, skin and brain. When I think back, I think my gut may have been different for the last 5 years, but I blamed it on my gallbaldder. What I am struggling with most is trying to figure if I am still getting into gluten, or if my body is healing, sometimes I experience gluten symptoms. It used to be every 3-4 days, now it is about 7-8 days, in between I feel "normal" and have no symptoms. The nerve thing is gone, but I have gut problems, followed by the skin on two fingers gets rough and cracks...so I'm thinking cc, but for the life of me, do not know where it is coming from.

RiceGuy Collaborator

What do you all do to make sure you're getting the right amounts of things? Just supplements, or is trying to get the nutrients through food first a better way? Which vitamins do you like best? How can you tell if they are working or not? At one point, I started some sublingual B-12 thinking it would improve energy, and all I got was a tingly scalp. Maybe I'm just a big wierdo. :)

Although there are tests for deficiencies which a doctor can have done, serum levels aren't always a good indicator of deficiency. Since one can supplement most nutrients without encountering problems, even if not deficient, I'd personally just try a supplement of whatever seems a likely deficiency.

When the digestive system isn't up to the challenge of breaking down foods completely, and absorbing the nutrients, supplementation is usually necessary. Unlike foods, supplements don't have to be broken down, and they are formulated for easy absorption. If you feel better after taking a supplement for a few weeks, then I'd say it's working.

As for the tingly scalp from the B12, I'm not sure I have any answer for you. What brand was it? Was it a liquid or a lozenge? My only thought is that there may have been something in it which didn't agree with your system.

Crystal795 Newbie

"Also - a moment of vent: Can someone please explain why every SINGLE social interaction must involve a meal of some kind?!!?!?!?! What is wrong with people that they can't just hang out, or go a couple of hours without having a MEAL?!?!?!?!?

Ahem. "

THANK YOU! AMEN!!!! *clapping*

I don't get it either.. Always has to be around food! "Let's do lunch!" "Hey, wanna have dinner tonight?" "How bout coffee?" - No, no and NO.

Unless everyone wants to come to my house, the answer is NO. I kid, I kid. I love socializing, but I think it's hilarious how many social gatherings revolve around food. I have learned to take "everything" and I mean "everything" with me. Forks, knives, spoons, plates, napkins, paper towels and of course, the food. It always makes for a good conversation starter and half the time, everyone ends up eating my food :P

The tingling is annoying, very annoying.. I think some of the suggestions provided have been very helpful. I'm low on D, Iron and Folic Acid.. maybe some other ones too, that I don't know about. But I usually notice the tingling along with eye floaters. No, the tingling isn't in my eye.. but for some reason they come in pairs. Tingling in left arm, eye floaters.. Tingling in the left leg, eye floaters.. Anyway, I think you can see the pattern..

Oh! How much protein are you getting?

Archived