This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Hosting A Dinner Party Or Bbq

foodiegurl

foodiegurl Collaborator

I was just curious how everyone handles this.

I have always loved hosting dinner parties or cook outs, and don't want to stop now.

Our house is 100% gluten-free...and I feel that since it is my house, I don't want people bringing gluten in, and having to worry about CC at my own party.

We will be having a few dinner parties through the summer, and I decided I am going to basically do all the food, and have people bring drinks, or fresh fruit..and will even say to please not being gluten. I would just hate to be sick at my own house, that is one place I feel safe.

How do others handle it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hummingbird4 Explorer

My house is also gluten-free, and I will not allow gluteny food here. I do make an exception for beer for H, since it doesn't leave crumbs lying around ;)

So... for dinner parties or BBQs, I provide the majority of the food, and ask people to bring things like beverages, fruit, veggies, green salad, etc. So far so good!

ang1e0251 Contributor

I have attended but not hosted any gatherings since going gluten-free. But I would do the same as you. I remember another poster saying they asked for no gluten and someone showed up with some anyway. Their dish was banned to the porch and not allowed inside. I think this is appropriate. If friends and family really care about your well being, they will honor your wishes. You are doing without gluten for a lifetime, they can surely do without for one evening.

foodiegurl Collaborator

I agree about the beer, I am totally fine with that since it would leave crumbs.

I never thought I would be so strict, but now that I know more about Celiac, and our house is gluten-free, I would probably make someone leave their item outside too!

elonwy Enthusiast

I don't allow gluten in my house, with the exception of beer for parties. I also have the rule that if you bring beer and have leftovers, you leave with it, as no one in the house can drink it. My guests love that rule, actually :) I make the majority of the food, and if people want to bring things, they can either bring drinks, or contact me in advance about what is ok and isn't. So far so good.

missy'smom Collaborator

For a smaller group(up to 20) of friends, closer aquaintances, we usually make everything and make it gluten-free or most things gluten-free. Dh wanted to do tacos but we were planning to use the Wii for karaoke and I didn't want flour all over the mics, remotes etc. We changed the menu to things that were gluten-free-I made a gluten-free lasagne and a gluten-free dessert, salad etc.- and Dh made reg. pasta dishes that would be eaten with utensils. Dh has reg. pasta anyways. I generally avoid things on buns as that adds more risk if I am serving not to mention hands touching everything. We also asked for beverages but someone always brings some cookies or such and I don't stress over it. I'm careful to serve them later of place them away from other stuff. We host a BBQ for our church a couple times a year and have around 40 people. The meat is marinated and not gluten-free but we have a grill that was donated for the use of the church at such functions. We have our own family grill that is dedicated gluten-free. People bring dishes to share potluck style and I set up a buffet in the kitchen. People eat outside. I just have my own food on the side and don't usually eat the stuff from the buffet. I am the one setting it up so if there's something I can eat, I set aside a portion as I'm setting up. We do it as a service and it's not about the food so I don't mind. I just make sure to supervise any volunteers for dish washing but there is not usually much done. Most go into the dishwasher. And I vaccume after everyone has left to get those crumbs on the floor. I don't have small children so they are of a danger of ending up in our mouths. The small kids are few and I don't worry about their toting crumbs around the house or touching stuff with their fingers. A good cleanup afterward of surfaces and regular handwashing on my part is sufficient to avoid what I feel is minimal risk in that particular situation.

• 3 weeks later...
Eriella Explorer

Hi guys-

I always entertain at my house. If people ask me what to bring, I tell them bring something to drink because I have control of the food. This is what I made last weekend: Open Original Shared Link

People loved it and it was cheap and gluten free!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hannahp57 Contributor

The biggest group of people i have fed was a group of five so i obviously don't know about a large dinner party group. I would probably allow gluten, my house is not gluten free and my husband is very good about not double dipping in the peanut butter. he uses margarine and i use butter. we have it worked out fairly well. if you're having an outdoor cookout just put the gluten free stuff on one table and the other stuff on a separate one and as people show up make sure they know which is which and what to do to keep you safe. i wouldn't ever provide enough of my hamburger buns for a large group :lol: they're expensive and i would much much rather keep the regular ones around and be careful myself. the only big issue would be if the food will be sitting out while people are just going back and forth. having one meal as a group would definitely seem safer to me. then you can kind of see what's going on.

But i also don't see anything wrong with doing all the food. it would truly be awful to be glutened at your own party. absolutely no fun.

Archived